These vegan cauliflower tacos with vegan yogurt garlic sauce are the perfect comfort food! They’re super crispy, easy to make, and sooo delicious!!
Ever since I’ve tried cauliflower wings for the first time, I can’t get enough of them. Neither can my hubby! He’s actually even more obsessed with them than I am. So when I suggested to make vegan cauliflower tacos, he was totally in. And they turned out so delicious!
How to Make Cauliflower Tacos
I basically used my recipe for the cauliflower wings that I posted last summer. I usually add a bit of sriracha to the BBQ sauce to make it spicier. But of course that totally depends on your personal preferences. When I first made cauliflower wings, I only coated them with a mixture of flour and spices for the first round in the oven.
For the second round, I then added BBQ sauce. However, after a couple of times I started to also roll the cauliflower wings in panko bread crumbs before baking them for the first round. This made them so much crispier. So I highly recommend using panko bread crumbs for the coating.
What You Need For The Vegan Cauliflower Tacos:
- a small head of cauliflower
- all-purpose flour
- almond milk or other plant-based milk alternatives (make sure it’s unsweetened)
- panko bread crumbs
- garlic powder
- paprika powder
- BBQ sauce or Frank’s Red Hot Buffalo Wings sauce
- red cabbage
- an avocado
- fresh lime juice
- unsweetened coconut or soy yogurt
- green onions and cilantro
As always, you can find the full ingredient list and the recipe instructions in a separate recipe box at the end of this post. The ingredient list might seem a bit long at first sight but it contains a lot of spices and other products you most likely got at home anyways like flour or almond milk.
What to Put in Vegan Tacos
There are so many great options on what to put in vegan tacos. While these cauliflower tacos are one of my favorites, I also like using other toppings like:
- black beans or kidney beans
- vegan ground meat made with tofu (for example my spicy vegan tofu chili)
- store-bought vegan soy crumbles
- seasoned chickpeas
- grilled bell peppers
- spicy Mexican rice with beans and guacamole
- Mexican quinoa with black beans and corn
- lentil walnut meat
- vegan sour cream made with cashews
I hope you like these vegan cauliflower tacos as much as we do around here. They’ve been a huge hit with us! If you like spicy food, you should also check out my cauliflower buffalo wings. And you might also like my jackfruit tacos, my tofu tacos, or these drool-worthy vegan fast food recipes.
Have a great week, everyone!
Vegan Cauliflower Tacos
For the cauliflower wings:
- 1 small head of cauliflower
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond or soy milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika powder
- 1 cup BBQ-sauce or Frank's Red Hot Buffalo Wings sauce
- sriracha sauce (optional)
For the tacos:
- 1 small romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1/4 small red cabbage, cut into stripes
- 1 avocado, cut into stripes
- juice from one lime
- sriracha sauce
- green onions, cut into rings
- fresh cilantro
- 6 medium corn or flour tortillas
For the vegan yogurt garlic sauce:
- 1 cup unsweetened plant-based coconut or soy yogurt
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Heat the oven to 350 °F.
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, the plant-based milk, the water, the garlic power, the paprika powder, the salt, and the black pepper.
- Cut the cauliflower into bite-sized florets. Dip the florets into the batter, so they're completely coated. Roll them in the panko breadcrumbs (omit this step for a gluten-free version and use chickpea flour instead of all-purpose flour). Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay the cauliflower florets on the baking sheet. Don't put them on top of each other. Bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove them from the oven and dip them in the BBQ sauce. Coat evenly. Put them back on the baking sheet. If you want them to be spicier drizzle a bit of sriracha sauce on top or add it to the BBQ sauce before coating the cauliflower wings. Bake for another 25 minutes.
- For the yogurt garlic sauce, combine all ingredients and season with salt and pepper.
- Serve the cauliflower wings on the soft tortillas together with the lettuce, the red cabbage, the green onions, the cilantro, and the avocado. Drizzle some fresh lime juice on top and serve with the yogurt garlic sauce and some more sriracha sauce (optional). Enjoy!
These were so good! We had extra cauliflower bites left over and we added them to salads, bhudda bowls and breakfast burritos, etc all week. My daughter ate them like chicken nuggets. We are still craving them so I’m making a double batch today.
these were soo delicious!!!
Made your cauliflower tacos last night and they were delicious- so nicely crispy!
we tried Trader Joe’s BBQ Sauce, Cholula and Siracha to see which we liked best – I think BBQ but I put some florets of each in each taco so also yummy all together.
I made these tacos for my boyfriend, and we absolutely loved them!! The cauliflower ended up tasting delicious and mildly spicey without the sriracha. I would recommend skipping the vegan yogurt garlic sauce and just using sriracha instead. The sauce was good, but I couldn’t find unsweet unflavored vegan yogurt at my store, so if you cannot find it as well, just skip the sauce as they will be just as good without.
Oh, these tacos are yummy. The flavor of the cauliflower is amazing. I skipped the yogurt sauce because I have yet to find a vegan yogurt that I like. Anyhow, this is a great recipe that I plan to make a regular for me. Thank you!
I made these cauliflower wings last night and I am SHOOK! The only modification I made was that for the last 25 minutes I upped the heat to 400 degrees. I will be making these again and again. 10/10!!!
This was AMAZING!!!!!
Made this tonight! Dipped in buffalo instead of Bbq and it was AMAZING!! My husband devoured 5!! Lol I’d say that’s a success!!
WHOA, my beloved taste buds, calm down! I know you’re dancing and singing right now because you were just treated to the best tacos EVER! Seriously, from bite one, these are dreamy and the flavors all hold their own little punch. While my wife thought it was perhaps a bit saucy, I loved them. Thank you for sharing this!
So good! I’m not vegan, so I used milk and regular yogurt. I’m also not a spicy person, so I mixed bbq with a garlic parmesan sauce. I also whipped up a cheesy dip to drizzle over the cauliflower once on the taco. I will be making these again!
These were so delicious! My hubby totally loved them :-) I will definitely make them again.
georgie @ georgieeats
This looks honestly so delicious!! I am going to have to try this! Pinned! xox
This is the second time I made these and they are outstanding. My meat eating hubby loves them. As long as I go easy on the hot sauce. This is my go-to cauliflower taco recipe, hands down. Thank you for sharing. 😍
Ours were crispy when we took them out of the oven the first time, but after we dipped in bbq sauce and baked again, they were not crispy. Any idea what we did wrong? The flavor is great anyway.
Idk what may have gone wrong but I decided not to dip them and instead drizzled the BBQ and siracha over them before putting them back in the oven and they still came out crispy.
How much water? The amount is not listed, it just says add the water in step 2, but in the list of ingredients, there is no mention of water.
Sorry about that and thanks so much for letting me know! I forgot to mention the water in the ingredient list. I just added it. :-)