Who needs ground beef when you can fill your tacos with this delicious lentil walnut meat? I’ve always loved tacos, burritos, and Mexican food in general, but these vegan tacos with lentil walnut meat and homemade cashew sour cream we had the other day seriously blew my mind! A fresh, healthy, and savory filling topped with creamy sour cream all in a crispy portable shell – I mean how much better can life actually get?!
If you want it even healthier, try serving the filling in lettuce shells. Of course the taco lettuce wraps can’t make up for the crispiness of the real taco shells, but it’s still really delicious and just perfect for a healthy snack or a light dinner.
The lentil walnut meat already tastes awesome on its own, but I think it’s even better with sour cream. I just love the combo of this hearty vegan meat alternative (I actually hate using this word as it’s not just a substitute but sooo much better!) and the creaminess and slightly sour taste of cashew sour cream. I also like eating this easy vegan version of sour cream together with potatoes and salad. The recipe really couldn’t be easier. You only need four ingredients (not including salt and pepper): cashews, water, one clove of garlic, and lemon juice. Combine all ingredients in a blender and process until smooth. I also used avocado, kidney beans, corn, tomatoes, and some lettuce to fill the taco.
I hope you like Mexican food as much as I do and give these vegan tacos with lentil walnut meat a try! If you do let me know how you liked them. I always love hearing from you guys!
Related vegan taco recipes:
If you like these vegan tacos with lentil walnut meat or Mexican food in general, check out this tofu chili:
Vegan Tacos with Lentil Walnut Meat
For the lentil walnut meat:
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 cup brown lentils
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- black pepper
For the vegan sour cream:
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for 30 minutes
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic
- black pepper
For the tacos:
- 1 tomato
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup kidney beans
- 1 cup corn
- about 8 taco shells
- Cook the lentils according to the instructions. Drain and set aside. In a medium pan, roast the walnuts without oil for about 2 minutes or until they're lightly golden. Put the walnuts and the cooked lentils in a food processor and process until chopped. Make sure to leave some texture!
- In a medium pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat and sautée the onions for about 3 minutes. Then add the lentil walnut mixture and stir in the tomato paste. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the diced tomatoes and the spices (paprika powder, cumin, oregano, salt, and pepper).
- Make the sour cream: Drain the cashews and put all ingredients in a food processor and process until smooth. Season with salt and pepper.
- Fill the taco shells with the lentil walnut meat, tomato, avocado, kidney beans, corn, and lettuce and top with sour cream.