Spaghetti with lentil bolognese has been one of my favorite recipes for a really long time. I’ve always loved lentils. Even as a little kid, I was always crazy about my mom’s lentil soup with carrots and leek. It is so easy and yet so good at the same time!
This lentil bolognese is exactly the same way, it does not take much longer than regular marinara and is just soooo delicious! Plus, it’s packed with vitamins and it’s a great source of protein and iron. So it really is perfect for vegans and vegetarians.
I also love tofu bolognese sauce, but this one is even better. I used red lentils, carrots, celery, garlic, onions, tomato paste, and some red wine (make sure it’s vegan if you’re following a plant-based diet).
First, cut the carrots and the celery into small chunks. Heat some olive oil in a pan and sauté the onion and garlic, then add the carrots, celery and the red lentils and cook them for a couple of minutes. Stir in some tomato paste and deglaze with red wine. Add a can of diced tomatoes together with some vegetable broth and simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Season it with salt, pepper, and Italian spices such as oregano, basil, and thyme and you’re done!
It makes a really great Italian dinner. And who could say no to Italian pasta night? Definitely not me!
It’s hearty, wine-infused, filling, and just sooo good!
I used whole wheat spaghetti, but of course you can also use regular pasta instead if you want. And have you heard of quinoa spaghetti? They’re really great with this vegetarian lentil bolognese as well.
Hope you guys had a great start into the new week! It’s supposed to get really cold, rainy, and ugly here in the next couple of days, so I can’t wait to snuggle up on the couch with a big bowl of lentil pasta and watch Modern Family. Have you ever watched it?
I just started it a couple of weeks ago and I absolutely love it. It’s so funny!
Talk to you soon! xx
Spaghetti with Lentil Bolognese
- 9 oz whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, cut into small pieces
- 2 stalks of celery, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup red lentils
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup dry red wine (use a vegan brand)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14,5 oz)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (optional, leave it out for a soy-free version)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- fresh basil to sprinkle
- Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the package. Set aside.
- In a large sauce pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion for about 2 minutes. Then add the garlic and cook it for another minute.
- Add the carrots and celery and cook for a further 3 minutes. Then stir in the red lentils and the tomato paste. After another minute, deglaze with red wine and allow to evaporate (this will take about 1 minute).
- Add the diced tomatoes and vegetable broth and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the sauce is thick and the lentils are fairly soft and good to eat (they shouldn't be too soft).
- Season with the Italian spices, salt, and pepper and - if using - soy sauce. Serve together with the spaghetti and sprinkle with some fresh basil leaves.