When someone asks me what my favorite food is, I usually answer it’s either pasta or curry. I mean is there anything more comforting than a creamy and aromatic curry?! For me it really is the ultimate comfort food! This vegan mango curry with black rice, red bell pepper, and broccoli is my new favorite. It’s so delicious and easy to make. Oh, and let’s not forget about the crispy tofu cubes I added to this mango curry. Yummy! As you can probably guess, I’m a really curry addict. Haha!
The recipe for this mango curry is pretty easy. Just a couple of simple steps. Nothing complicated at all. Nevertheless, I think it looks quite decadent with the black rice and all the colors. So it would be perfect for a vegan date night or a fancy dinner. I mean Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, right?
You could even make a whole menu out of it. Just serve it with a nice soup and some delicious vegan dessert. Check out the vegan soup roundup I just posted on the blog for soup ideas. And what about vegan panna cotta for dessert? Or peanut butter brownies? Sounds like a great plan?
Or if you’re not into Valentine’s Day you could also serve this vegan menu any other day. I’m not really sure if I’m a big fan of Valentine’s Day myself. I mean I like all the decorations and stuff. But I don’t like that it has become this commercial. I mean you’re kinda forced into showing your love on one specific day. And isn’t there a better way to show your love than by buying over-priced pink cards, heart-shaped cookies, or red roses?! I think there are probably a hundred ways!
Oh, and then all the nice restaurants are crowded or fully booked. I personally think it’s so much nicer to be surprised with a little gift or some flowers any other time of the year. So a couple of years ago, we decided to not make a fuss about Valentine’s Day anymore. We usually just have a nice home-cooked dinner and I think the mango curry could be the perfect fit for this year’s Valentine’s Day.
I hope you all have a great week! Let me know if you give this mango curry a try.
Sina – xx
Mango Curry with Black Rice
- 1 cup black rice
- 1 onion, sliced into half moons
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped ginger
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into stripes
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vegan yellow curry paste
- 1 14-ounce can thick coconut milk (full fat)
- 2 cups broccoli, cut into small florets
- 1 cup frozen sugar snaps
- 7 oz tofu, cut into cubes
- 1/2 mango, cut into stripes
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- fresh cilantro
- green onions, cut into rings
- Prepare the rice according to the instructions on the package.
- Heat some oil in a wok or a large pan. Sauté the onion for 2-3 minutes or until it becomes translucent. Add the ginger and cook for another minute. Stir in the curry powder and the yellow curry paste. Then add the carrots and the red bell pepper and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add the coconut milk and bring to a boil. Cook for 10 minutes on low heat. In the meantime, cut the tofu into medium-sized cubes. Heat some oil in a small pan and add the tofu together with the soy sauce. Cook until crispy.
- When the curry has cooked for ten minutes, add the broccoli and the sugar snaps. Cook for 3 more minutes. Then add the mango and season with salt, pepper, and, if using, red pepper flakes. Serve over black rice and top it off with some fresh cilantro and green onions. Enjoy!