These taco cups make the perfect appetizer or even dinner! They’re filled with Mexican spiced rice, black beans, peppers, and avocado. As all recipes on my blog, they’re 100 % vegan. Plus, this recipe is also gluten-free!
Do you love Mexican food as much as I do? I can never get enough of burritos and tacos. It’s just the perfect comfort food, isn’t it? We usually make burritos with black beans and lots of avocado. And sometimes I even add some kind of copycat Chipotle sofritas, which is so good! Oh, and I absolutely love tacos with lentil walnut meat. This version is sooo much healthier than ground meat and it’s incredibly delicious!
But today’s post is about taco cups. They’re super easy to make and so yummy! I mainly used spiced rice, black beans, and salsa to fill them this time, but you can actually get pretty creative. They would also be great with lentil walnut meat or corn and kidney beans. Just remember, they’re pretty small, so don’t overfill them. Otherwise they will be pretty difficult to eat.
How to Make Taco Cups
The taco cups are actually made of tortillas. You can either use a really wide glass (about 3.5 inches wide) or a large cookie cutter. Then just use a sharp knife to cut out the taco cups. Place each of them in a muffin cup and press them into the cup. You can either use your fingers or a smaller glass to do that. If they’re too hard, you can put them on a plate and place them in the microwave for about 20 seconds to make them softer. But for me it worked without putting them in the microwave.
Once you got 12 little nice taco cups waiting for you in your muffin tin, you can start filling them with the rice, the black beans, and the salsa. I topped them with a little bit of vegan cheese. After baking, I also added some vegan sour cream, green onions, peppers, and avocado. If you want you could also add some lettuce.
I hope you like these vegan taco cups as much as we do around here! They’re so great to bring to parties or you could even make them for the next football game!
Sina – xx
Taco Cups with Black Beans and Avocado
For the taco cups:
- 1 cup cooked rice I used parboiled rice
- 1 cup black beans
- 4 flour tortillas
- 2 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 cup vegan cheese to sprinkle on top
For the super quick salsa:
- 1 cup canned diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
For the toppings:
- 1 avocado
- 4 mini sweet peppers
- fresh parsley or cilantro
- 1/4 cup vegan sour cream
- red pepper flakes
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
- First make the taco cups: They're actually made of tortillas. You can either use a really wide glass (about 3.5 inches wide) or a large cookie cutter. Then just use a sharp knife to cut out the taco cups. Place each of them in a muffin cup and press them into the cup. You can either use your fingers or a smaller glass to do that. If they're too hard, you can put them on a plate and place them in the microwave for about 20 seconds to make them softer. But for me it worked without putting them in the microwave.
- Next make the spiced rice. In a medium-sized pan, heat some oil and add the cooked rice together with the tomato paste and the cumin. Stir well and cook for about 2-3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- For the salsa, combine all ingredients in a small bowl.
- Fill the taco cups with the rice, black beans, the salsa, and top it with some vegan cheese. Bake them for 15 minutes.
- Let them cool off a bit and then add sliced avocado, mini sweet peppers, fresh parsley or cilantro, and vegan sour cream on top. Sprinkle with some red pepper flakes and enjoy!