These papas bravas with vegan aioli and salsa are the perfect comfort food! They’re ready in only 30 minutes and they’re soooo yummy!
I’ve a weird relationship with potatoes. I really love them but I don’t make them very often. And every time I do make them, I tell my hubby we should have them more often. Haha! I know this sounds pretty silly! I guess I really should make them more often and not just say it all the time. These papas bravas, or patatas bravas, are definitely a recipe that you wanna make more than once! We’ve actually made them for New Year’s Eve this year. We had different kinds of tapas and the papas bravas were one of them. And now I just had to make them for the blog!
Papas bravas are often served as an appetizer in Spanish cuisine. They’re extremely popular at tapas bars. For papas bravas, potatoes are cut into small cubes or other shapes and fried in oil. I’m not the biggest fan of frying food in oil. So I decided to make the patatas bravas in the oven. However, I still added about two tablespoons of olive oil.
What You Need For These Papas Bravas with Vegan Aioli and Salsa
- potatoes (I used russet potatoes)
- regular and smoked paprika powder
- sea salt
- olive oil
- one red onion
- red pepper flakes
- diced tomatoes
- sherry vinegar
- vegan mayonnaise
- fresh parsley (to sprinkle on top)
As always, you can find the full ingredient list and the recipe instructions in separate, printable box at the end of this post.
All in all, the vegan patatas bravas are ready in about 30 minutes. Just use the time while the papas bravas are in the oven to make the two dips. I love sprinkling some fresh chopped parsley as well as red pepper flakes on top. So yummy!!
I hope you like the recipe for these easy papas bravas as much as we do around here!
Have a great week, everyone!
Sina – xx
Are you looking for more Spanish recipes? What about vegan paella?
Papas Bravas with Vegan Aioli and Salsa
For the papas bravas:
- 35 oz russet potatoes
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon regular paprika powder
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
For the salsa:
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- red pepper flakes
- 2 cups diced tomatoes (drain most of the liquid)
- 1 tablespoon sherry vinegar
For the vegan aioli:
- 1/2 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes. Place them in a bowl and toss them with the remaining ingredients for the papas bravas. Place them onto a baking tray and bake for 25 minutes until they're crispy and brown.
- In the meantime, make the salsa and the vegan aioli. For each recipe, combine all the listed ingredients in a bowl.
- Serve the papas bravas with the salsa and the aioli and sprinkle fresh parsley, green onions, and red pepper flakes on top. Enjoy!