It’s asparagus season in Germany and Flo and I eat this long-awaited spring vegetable at least once a week. Most of the time we eat white asparagus with potatoes, which is a typical German dish, but today we had a slightly exotic version: Vegan spring spaghetti with asparagus and strawberries. Besides, I also added fennel, which fitted great in this combination.
For the sauce, I used one cup of freshly squeezed orange juice, half a red onion, garlic, a teaspoon of curry, and a pinch of red pepper flakes. Next time, I will maybe substitute half of the green asparagus with white ones for a change. All in all, the asparagus pasta were ready in about 25 minutes. Do you guys also eat both kinds of asparagus and if yes which one do you like better?
We really liked this unusual combination and it was so much lighter than asparagus with sauce hollandaise. I really love cooking with spring foods such as asparagus or bear’s garlic, but I also can’t wait for summer to come! I spent the weekend at my parent’s house and it was so nice spending the day in the garden and just doing nothing and being a real bum. While I was sitting outside, I watched some little birds leaving their nests for the first time. It was just too cute! Of course, I couldn’t resist taking some pictures, which I already posted on Instagram (@_veganheaven_). I hope you all have a great start into the week! :-)
Vegan Spring Spaghetti with Asparagus and Strawberries
- 9 oz green asparagus
- 1 fennel
- 9 oz whole wheat spaghetti
- 1/2 red onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 teaspoon curry
- about 10 strawberries
- 1 pinch red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- black pepper
- Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the package.
- Wash the fennel and Remove the tough core from the fennel. Then cut it into thin stripes. Cut the asparagus into pieces (about 1.5 inches long).
- In a large pan, heat the olive oil and pan-fry the asparagus for about 5 minutes. Then add the red onion. Sauté for a minute and then add the fennel. After three minutes add the garlic and deglaze with orange juice.
- Add the curry, the red pepper flakes and cook for about 2 minutes. Season with salt and black pepper.
- Cut the strawberries into quarters and add them to the vegetables. Stir in the spaghetti.