This vegan sour cream is a great dairy-free alternative to regular sour cream. It’s low-fat, creamy, super easy to make, and so delicious!
Why This Recipe Works
I wanted to create a vegan version of sour cream that is quick and easy to make. While I love dairy-free sour cream with cashews, I aimed for a cashew-free recipe as it can be quite heavy and high in calories.
Silken tofu seemed like the perfect choice! It has a relatively neutral taste and becomes super creamy when being pureed. It’s also very low in calories.
Lemon juice and apple cider vinegar adds the typical tangy taste. Onion powder and garlic provide lots of flavor. If you want a more plain sour cream and the garlic flavor is too much for your liking, just leave it out.
I love adding freshly chopped chives. It’s great with baked potatoes, vegan chili, or fries.
Ingredients That Go Into This Recipe:
- Lemon Juice – use freshly squeezed lemon juice.
- Garlic – optional. Leave it out if you want a plain sour cream.
- Silken Tofu – don’t replace it with any other kind of tofu. It has a softer consistency than regular tofu and becomes creamy when being pureed.
How To Make This Recipe:
1. Step: Place all of the ingredients into a high speed blender.
2. Step: Process until smooth.
- Please don’t replace the silken tofu with any other kind of tofu. The recipe only works with silken tofu.
- I like to add garlic to my sour cream for more flavor. If you’re not a fan of garlic or if you want a more simple and plain version, just leave it out.
- If you’re looking for a vegan sour cream with cashews, I included a recipe in my taco recipe.
What’s The Difference Between Regular and Silken Tofu?
Silken tofu has a softer consistency than regular tofu and it falls apart when being pressed. It almost looks like solidified pudding.
In most recipes, regular and silken tofu are not interchangeable as they have a totally different texture.
Silken tofu is perfect for creamy sauces, dips, and vegan chocolate mousse.
How Long Does This Sour Cream Last?
Stored in an airtight container in the fridge, it lasts up to 7 days.
Related Vegan Dips:
- Vegan Ranch
- Yogurt Dressing
- Chipotle Mayo
- Vegan Spinach Artichoke Dip
- Baba Ganoush
- Sweet Potato Fries Dipping Sauce
- Jackfruit Buffalo Dip
I Love To Hear From You!
I hope you like this vegan sour cream as much as we do around here.
If you give this recipe a try, I’d love to know what you think about it. Just leave me a comment and a star rating below. Your comments really make my day!
Vegan Sour Cream
- 14 oz silken tofu
- 1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 clove of garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Place all of the ingredients into a high speed blender.
- Process until smooth.
- Please don't replace the silken tofu with any other kind of tofu. The recipe only works with silken tofu.
- I like to add garlic to my sour cream for more flavor. If you're not a fan of garlic or if you want a more simple and plain version, just leave it out.
- If you're looking for a vegan sour cream with cashews, I included a recipe in my taco recipe.