These vegan chocolate donuts are the perfect treat for summer! They’re super chocolatey with a creamy strawberry frosting topped with coconut flakes. Big YUM! Plus, they’re baked donuts, which makes them a lot healthier than regular fried donuts.
How to make vegan donuts
Vegan recipes for donuts don’t have to be complicated. On the contrary, they can be super easy! Just like the recipe for these vegan chocolate donuts with strawberries. You don’t need any fancy ingredients to make them. Instead of eggs, the recipe calls for flax eggs. This means ground flaxseeds that are soaked in a couple of tablespoons of water for about 5 minutes. They get a very egg-like texture and work similar to eggs in baked goods. They’re my favorite egg replacement besides mashed bananas and apple sauce. Substituting milk is even easier. Just use plant-based milk instead. I usually use almond milk for baking, but other plant-based milk alternatives work just as well.
Vegan Chocolate Donuts with Strawberries
The recipe for the vegan chocolate donuts only calls for very basic ingredients. Probably you already got most of them in your pantry. If not even all of them, except for the strawberries.
- almond milk
- maple syrup or agave
- natural vanilla extract
- cocoa powder
- baking powder
- vegan butter or margarine
- strawberry preserve
- powdered sugar
- oil (just one tablespoon though)
- and fresh strawberries
That’s it! Sounds pretty easy, right? If you want, you can top the vegan strawberry donuts with coconut flakes and chopped dark chocolate. I mean one can never get enough of chocolate! Haha! As always, you can find the full recipe in a separate, printable recipe box underneath the text section.
Call me weird, but I really don’t like fried donuts very much. I’ve never liked them, even when I wasn’t vegan. Just not my thing. But I do love baked donuts. I got a donut baking pan a couple of years ago and I absolutely love making donuts ever since!
I hope you like these vegan chocolate donuts with strawberry frosting as much as I do. Let me know if you give them a try. I always love seeing your Vegan Heaven creations on Instagram.
Have a lovely week, everyone!
Sina – xx
Looking for more vegan donuts?
What about these vegan chocolate hazelnut donuts?
Or do you feel more like vegan funfetti donuts?
Vegan Strawberry Donuts
For the vegan chocolate donuts:
- 1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/4 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon oil
For the strawberry frosting:
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup vegan butter
- 3 tablespoons strawberry preserve
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
For the topping:
- coconut flakes
- chopped dark chocolate
- Combine the ground flaxseeds with 3 tablespoons of water and let them soak for about 5 minutes. In a medium bowl, combine all ingredients (including the flaxseed water mixture) for the chocolate donuts and stir well with a wooden spoon. Spray the donut pan with cooking spray or grease it with vegan margarine. Either use a spoon to fill each donut or fill the batter into a Ziploc bag and cut off one edge.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F and bake the vegan chocolate donuts for 12 minutes. Allow to cool down in the pan for a couple of minutes, then move them to a cooling rack.
- In the meantime, make the strawberry frosting. Combine all ingredients in a bowl and beat with an electric mixer until light and fluffy.
- Evenly spread the frosting on the donuts and sprinkle with coconut flakes, chopped chocolate, and strawberries. Store them in the fridge!