Summer has finally arrived in Germany! It has been really warm (over 30 degrees) in the last couple of days and it was sunny most of the time. I know some of you are used to this kind of weather, but in Germany it can sometimes be really scarce. So it actually is a pretty big deal here. They even talk about it on the news and warn people of dehydration. ;-) It was so warm today that we could barely stay inside, so we took some food into a nearby park and had a small picnic. For dessert, we enjoyed these frozen vegan chocolate banana bites, which were sooo refreshing. :-)
I usually freeze them for about an hour or two and then let them sit on the counter for another five minutes, so they can thaw a bit. I love that they are cold and refreshing, but at the same time still a bit soft. I wasn’t the only one who really enjoyed this light summer treat. Flo just loooves bananas, so unfortunately they were gone way too fast! But who am I to deny a grown man a healthy snack like that? ;-)
They are super easy to make and are also great with almond butter. All you have to do is chop a banana (the skin shouldn’t be too brown) into bite-sized pieces, melt some dark chocolate, and dip the banana into the chocolate. Then, you can sprinkle it with the toppings of your choice. I used chopped almonds, coconut flakes, and chia seeds. Granola, other chopped nuts, or dried fruits are also great. Besides, I added some coconut milk to the dark chocolate to make it a bit smoother, which is, however, optional.
I hope you all have a great start into the week! :-)
Chocolate Banana Bites
- 2 bananas
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate
- 1 teaspoon chia seeds
- 1-2 tablespoons coconut flakes
- 1/4 cup almonds, chopped
- 2 tablespoons coconut milk (optional)
- Fill the bottom of a sauce pan with water and bring to a simmer. Place the chocolate in a heat-resistant bowl and put it into the sauce pan. Let the chocolate melt, stirring occasionally, until the chocolate is completely melted. To make the chocolate smoother, add some coconut milk. Alternatively, melt the chocolate in the microwave.
- While the chocolate is melting, cut the bananas into bite-sized pieces.
- With a small spoon, drizzle some of the melted chocolate on top of each banana and sprinkle the banana pieces immediately with the chopped almonds, coconut flakes and chia seeds.
- Stick a toothpick into each banana piece and put it into the freezer for about an hour. Let it thaw for about 5 minutes before serving.