Maybe you’ve already noticed that toast looks a lot more orange these days, especially on Instagram. Well, this is because they’re not made out of bread but sweet potatoes. Sweet potato toast?! Yes, you’ve heard right. And I guess this also explains the orange color, doesn’t it? This new trend is not only super healthy but also insanely delicious! And it couldn’t be any easier. You simply put some sweet potato slices in the toaster and then spread the sweet potato toast with your favorite toppings. It’s really as easy as that. You can use the sweet potato toast just like any other kind of toast or bread. And it’s completely vegan and gluten-free!
I love the subtle sweetness of these sweet potato toasts. It’s not too sweet so you can still use any hearty toppings like avocado or tofu. But it definitely adds some nice flavor. Plus, sweet potatoes are super healthy and contain tons of nutrients. Combine the sweet potato toast with some nut butter and other superfoods like avocado or chia seeds and you got an extremely nutritious breakfast or snack.
My favorite toppings for sweet potato toast are:
-peanut butter and bananas
-avocado, cress, and cherry tomatoes
-vegan cream cheese, red pepper flakes, and cress
-vegan chocolate spread with blueberries and bananas
-almond butter with cinnamon
-vegan cream cheese with pureed raspberries
But there are sooo many options. You could also use:
-tofu or tempeh
-mustard, cucumber, sprouts, and sprinkled chia seeds
-scrambled tofu with greens
-pesto and tomatoes
-tahini and goji berries
Just get creative and see what you’ll end up with…
How to Make Sweet Potato Toast:
–Large round potatoes work best for these sweet potato toasts.
-Vertically slice your sweet potatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Don’t make them too thick as they won’t get cooked all through then.
-You can either peel the sweet potatoes or just leave the skin on. I usually don’t mind the skin, but that’s totally up to you. It works both ways.
-Turn the toaster all the way up to high and toast the sweet potato slices for 2-3 rounds or about 5 minutes.
-You can keep extra slices in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to one week. Just heat them up again in the toaster.
Have you tried sweet potato toast yet? And if yes, what are your favorite toppings?
I hope you like this recipe as much as I do. Have a great start into the new week!
Sina – xx
Sweet Potato Toast (Vegan & Gluten-Free)
- 1 large sweet potato
- toppings of your choice (you can find many suggestions above in the text)
- Vertically slice your sweet potatoes into 1/4-inch-thick slices. Don't make them too thick as they won't get cooked all through then.
- You can either peel the sweet potatoes or just leave the skin on. I usually don't mind the skin, but that's totally up to you. It works both ways.
- Turn the toaster all the way up to high and toast the sweet potato slices for 2-3 rounds or about 5 minutes. Spread the sweet potato toasts with the toppings of your choice. You can find many suggestions in the text above.
- You can keep extra slices in an air-tight container in the fridge for up to one week. Just heat them up again in the toaster.