This red bell pepper almond pesto with spaghetti makes such an easy and healthy weeknight dinner! It’s not only insanely delicious but also packed with nutrients!
I really love pesto; it’s easy, delicious, and there are so many different variations. We usually stick with green pesto with basil, spinach, or kale (especially in the winter). A couple of days ago, we, however, tried a new recipe: Red bell pepper almond pesto with spelt spaghetti, mushrooms, zucchini, and green onions.
I couldn’t get enough of the red bell pepper almond pesto, although I used to hate red bell peppers more than anything. On field trips, I even pretended to be highly allergic so people didn’t try to make me eat red bell pepper. Can you believe it?! Today, I really like bell pepper with pasta, or just as sticks with hummus or other dips. By the way, the red bell pepper almond pesto is also great as a dip or on bread.
How long does pesto last in the fridge?
Stored in an air-tight container it can be kept in the fridge for several days. Just pour some olive oil on top once you’ve used some of it.
I’ve turned into a real spelt addict lately. I’ve used unripe spelt for lasagna and pasta sauces for a long time, but a couple of weeks ago my dad bought spelt spaghetti and gave me a package to try and I just loooved it. I barely eat white pasta anymore as I’m so used to the whole grain version and its texture.
When I saw spelt semolina porridge in the health food store the other day, I just had to buy it! It’s a typical German food, which probably every child loves. I cooked it with almond milk instead of regular milk and we ate it together with apple sauce and cinnamon. It was sooo yummy and I felt like I was 5 years again! :D I can’t remember the last time I had semolina porridge. Have you ever tried spelt and do you like it? :-) And can you buy it in regular grocery stores in your country?
Red Bell Pepper Almond Pesto with Spaghetti
For the Red Bell Pepper Almond Pesto:
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 1/2 cup almonds
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup fresh parsley, chopped
For the Pasta:
- 250 g spelt spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1 zucchini, cut into medium pieces
- 2 green onions, cut into rings
- fresh parsley and green onions to sprinkle
- black pepper
- Prepare the spaghetti according to the instructions on the package.
- In a medium skillet, heat one tablespoon olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the red bell pepper for about 5 minutes until it is slightly brown.
- Put it into a food processor with the chopped parsley, the remaining olive oil, the almonds, the nutritional yeast, the tomato paste, the lemon juice, and the garlic clove. Blend until smooth.
- Heat another tablespoon of olive oil in a medium pan and sauté the zucchini, green onions, and the mushrooms for about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Stir in the red bell pepper almond pesto and the spelt spaghetti. Sprinkle with fresh parsley and green onions.