This one pot vegetable rice with bell pepper and peas is ready in only 20 minutes. It’s super healthy and so yummy! You can either eat it just by itself or it also makes a great side dish!
Oh, how I love one pot meals! I mean how easy is it to just cook everything in the same pot and have a delicious, satisfying, and healthy meal in no time? Aaaand you also get less dishes this way. Haha! Our apartment doesn’t have a dish washer, so I’m always happy to use less dishes. I mean it’s less work, which is always good, isn’t it?
This one pot vegetable rice with bell pepper and peas is one of my favorites! I’ve made it so many times! It’s actually very similar to djuvec rice, which is super popular in Bosnia and Croatia. It’s usually served as a side dish along with grilled meat. But it’s also amazing just by itself! And in my version, I added vegan chorizo chunks, which makes it even better and gives it a spicy touch.
Djuvec rice is actually a bit similar to Mexican dirty rice. But instead of black beans it calls for peas. And it’s not made with tomatoes, but ajvar. Ajvar is a condiment made from bell peppers, eggplant, garlic, and chili peppers. It’s an Eastern European staple and you can find it in well-sorted supermarkets or of course online. If you happen to have an Eastern European supermarket in your area, this would of course also be the place to get it.
What you need for this one pot vegetable rice:
You only need very few ingredients for this vegan vegetable rice with bell pepper and peas. And the recipe is SO easy!
- parboiled rice
- red bell pepper
- green onions
- paprika powder
- vegetable broth
- vegan chorizo (optional)
- salt, black pepper, and red pepper flakes
As always, you will find the full ingredient list and the recipe instructions in a separate recipe box underneath the text section.
I hope you like this vegetable rice as much as we do around here! If you’re looking for more vegan one pot meals, you might also like my vegan one pot pasta with coconut milk and red curry paste. Or what about one pot spaghetti with vegetables?
Have a great Sunday, everyone!
Sina – xx
One Pot Vegetable Rice with Bell Pepper and Peas
- 1 cup parboiled rice (uncooked)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into small pieces
- 1/2 cup ajvar
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup vegan chorizo, cut into cubes (optional)
- 3 green onions, cut into rings
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh parsley, to serve
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- Heat some oil in a pot and sauté the onion for about 2-3 minutes or until it becomes translucent. Add the garlic and the red bell pepper. Cook for one more minute. Then add the rice, the ajvar, the paprika powder, and the vegetable broth.
- Cook for 15 minutes (without the lid). Then add the frozen peas and cook for 5 more minutes. 2 minutes before the cooking time is over, stir in the green onions and the vegan chorizo (if using).
- Season with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Sprinkle with fresh parsley.
So good and easy! My boyfriend and I loved it! Will definitely make it again. :-) It took us some time to find the ajvar in the store though!
Ah just made this and made home made Ajvar – it was well worth the effort.