This meatless lasagna with tofu Bolognese sauce, zucchini, carrots, and mushrooms is SO delicious! The perfect meal for a relaxed evening. Maybe even with a nice glass of red wine? It’s 100 % vegan, packed with flavor, and easy to make!
Oh, how I LOVE lasagna! It has been one of my favorite meals for such a long time. And this didn’t change when I became vegan a couple of years ago. I still love making lasagna and even more eating it. Haha! This vegan lasagna is one of my favorite recipes and it’s about time that I share it with you guys on the blog.
How to Make Meatless Lasagna
The main ingredient in this vegan lasagna is tofu, which I paired with red wine, onions, lots of garlic, and fresh veggies. Oh and of course tomatoes. I also love having this vegan Bolognese sauce with spaghetti. It’s one of our regular weeknight meals. Flo absolutely loves it and I have to make it at least once a week. It means pure comfort food for us!
You start by crumbling the tofu with your hands. I strongly recommend using a very firm tofu for this recipe. Then pan-fry the tofu for about 3 minutes until it turns golden brown. Add some chopped onions, garlic, and tomato paste and cook it for some more minutes. Deglaze with red wine and add crushed tomatoes. Season it with dried basil, oregano, salt, and pepper. I can promise you it will be such a flavorful meal and you definitely won’t miss the ground meat in this tofu Bolognese!
To make the vegan lasagna, I started with one layer of the tofu Bolognese, I then added lasagna noodles, topped it with some more Bologense sauce, and added another layer of vegan crème frâiche. I used store-bought vegan crème frâiche, but if you can’t get hold of it you can also use my homemade basil ricotta or also spinach ricotta. I used it for the first vegan lasagna I posted on my blog and it was a huge hit within my family. It was actually one of the very first recipes I posted on Vegan Heaven, so please excuse the poor quality of the photos. I really need to update this post.
So in total, I used nine lasagna sheets. After the last layer, I added the rest of the vegan tofu Bolognese and topped it with some vegan cheese. Then bake it for 30-35 minutes, depending on your oven. I know this is not one of my quickest and easiest recipes, but it’s really worth the work. It’s SO good! And I mean lasagna always takes a while to make…
I hope you like this meatless lasagna as much as we do! I love hearing from you guys and seeing your Vegan Heaven creations on Instagram.
Have a great week, everyone!
Sina – xx
Meatless Lasagna (Vegan)
- 7 oz firm tofu
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 3/4 cup dry red wine (use a vegan brand)
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon dried basil
- 2 cups pureed tomatoes
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 4.5 oz mushrooms, cut into small cubes
- 1 small zucchini, cut into small cubes
- 1 carrot, cut into small cubes
- 9 lasagna sheets
- 3/4 cup crème fraîche or vegan basil ricotta
- 1 cup vegan cheese
- Start by crumbling the tofu with your hands. In a large pan, heat the olive oil and pan-fry the crumbled tofu for about 3 minutes. Then add the chopped onion and cook for another 4 minutes. Then add the garlic. After one minute, add the tomato paste and cook for 2 more minutes. Deglaze with red wine and cook for 3 minutes. Then add the diced tomatoes as well as the pureed tomatoes and season with oregano, basil, salt, and pepper.
- While you make the tofu Bolognese sauce, pan-fry the vegetables in a second pan. Heat some oil and cook them for about 6 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Once the Bolognese sauce is ready, add the veggies and stir well.
- Add a cup of the Bolognese sauce at the bottom of your casserole dish. Then add a layer of lasagna sheets, then again Bolognese sauce, and top it with some crème frâiche (or homemade basil ricotta). Continue with two more layers of sauce and lasagna sheets. Put the rest of the Bolognese sauce on top and sprinkle with vegan cheese.
- Preheat your oven to 350 °F and bake the lasagna for 30-35 minutes, depending on your oven. Enjoy the lasagna with a green side salad and maybe a glass of red wine.