Chickpeas or garbanzo beans are definitely among my favorite foods. We have them at least twice a week and I love using them for all sorts of curries, pasta, and spreads. And hummus of course! This time, I made an Italian vegan garbanzo bean soup with tomatoes, carrots, celery, fennel, spinach, and lots of fresh parsley. This vegan soup is not only packed with flavor but it’s also super healthy and easy to make. I usually don’t eat soups in the summer, but I could really imagine eating this Italian chickpea tomato soup in the warmer seasons as well. But of course, it’s also a great flu fighter for colder fall days. I just love Italian food and its abundance of fresh veggies!
When I first tried hummus, I wasn’t exactly sure if I liked it or not. I must admit I wasn’t overly crazy about it and I didn’t get why so many people loved chickpeas. It wasn’t until years later that I gave it another try and made some at home and all of a sudden I couldn’t get enough of it anymore! It was so much better than the store-bought hummus I first tried! Garbanzo beans really have become a staple in my diet since then. Like most legumes, they’re a great source of protein and fiber and contain many important vitamins and minerals. Roasted chickpeas are also a great snack for lazy movie nights. Just put them on a baking sheet, season them with your favorite spices, and snuggle up on the couch. So, I mean what is there not to love about chickpeas?!
The Italian vegan garbanzo bean soup comes together in only 30 minutes and it’s a great make-ahead dinner. I always think that soups are better the day after because then their flavor is even stronger. First, cut the onion, the carrots, the celery, and the fennel into medium-sized chunks. Heat some olive oil in a large pot and sauté the onion and some garlic for a couple of minutes. Then add the veggies except for the chickpeas, spinach, and the tomatoes and cook for a few minutes.
Stir in a can of diced tomatoes, the chickpeas, and three cups of vegetable broth. Cook for about 15 minutes, then add the cherry tomatoes and the spinach and season with fresh parsley, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper. We enjoyed the soup together with some whole wheat bread.
It’s already getting really cold here, so I can’t get enough of soups and hearty stews. If you give this vegan chickpea soup a try, let me know how you liked it. As always, I love hearing from you guys!
Hope you all have a great and relaxed weekend! Talk to you soon! xx
Italian Vegan Garbanzo Bean Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 carrots, cut into medium-sized chunks
- 3 stalks celery, cut into medium-sized chunks
- 1 fennel bulb, cut into thin slices
- 1 15,5 oz can garbanzo beans (chickpeas)
- 1 14, 5 oz can diced tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- about 15 cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
- 2 hand full of fresh spinach
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil and sauté the onion for about 3 minutes. Then add the garlic, the carrots, the celery, and the fennel. Cook for about 4 minutes.
- Stir in a can of diced tomatoes, the chickpeas, and three cups of vegetable broth. Cook for about 15 minutes. Then add the cherry tomatoes and the spinach and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Season with fresh parsley, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper.