There are so many recipes for vegan cheese sauce out there, but this one is by far my favorite! It’s super creamy and cheesy while being relatively low in calories. And the best thing is that it stretches like real cheese!!
I used to be a real cheese addict! Cheese pizza, cheese sandwiches, mac & cheese – I absolutely LOVED it!! But after watching some horrific documentaries about factory farming and the dairy industry more than 5 years ago, I decided to go vegan. I had been vegetarian since I was sixteen and I actually never really liked meat, so that wasn’t a problem for me. But cheese was a different story. That meant no more delicious and comforting cheese recipes for me, right? In the first two years of my vegan journey, I barely tried any vegan cheese recipes and when I tried them I wasn’t too happy with the results. And back then, store-bought vegan cheese wasn’t that good either. But the weird thing was that after some while I didn’t even miss cheese anymore.
It still took me a while until I tried making my own vegan cheese sauce. It was probably around the time I got my first high speed blender (an Omniblend ). Right now, I use a Vitamix and it makes the creamiest sauces ever! Having the right blender just makes such a difference when it comes to making your own vegan cheese!
What You Will Need for This Vegan Cheese Sauce
The ingredient list might look pretty long at first sight, but it’s mostly spices and other things you most likely got at home anyways, like mustard or tomato paste.
- cooked cauliflower
- nutritional yeast
- dry mustard
- tomato paste
- turmeric, paprika powder, and smoked paprika powder
- miso paste
- white wine vinegar
- tapioca starch (it gives the sauce its stretchy texture)
- unsweetened almond or soy milk (make sure it’s unsweetened as this will drastically change the flavor of this vegan cheese sauce)
- salt and pepper
As always, you can find the full ingredient list and the recipe instructions at the end of this post.
I love eating this vegan cheese sauce with pasta, like mac and cheese! It’s also great with nachos or on vegetables. If you want it to be a bit spicier, you can also add some red pepper flakes.
I hope you like this vegan cheese sauce as much as we do!
Have a great week, everyone!
Sina – xx
The Cheesiest Vegan Mac & Cheese Ever!
- 2 heaped cups cauliflower florets
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons white miso paste
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons tapioca starch
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 1 1/2 cups unsweetened almond or soy milk
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- Cook the cauliflower florets for about 12-15 minutes. They should be pretty soft. Put the cashews in a small bowl and add some hot water from your kettle. Let them soak until the cauliflower is done.
- Fill all ingredients into a high speed blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into a pot and cook for about 3-5 minutes until the vegan cheese sauce becomes creamy and stretchy. Enjoy with pasta (like mac and cheese), with nachos, or on vegetables.