I’ve wanted to post something with funfetti on the blog for like ever! When one of my friend’s birthday was approaching, I just knew now was the time for funfetti, so I ended up making these vegan birthday donuts with sprinkles for her.
I must admit that I’m actually not really a big fan of fried donuts. I would probably always take muffins over donuts when someone offered me both. But ever since I got a donut baking pan like a year ago, I can’t get enough of baked donuts! It’s such an easy way to cut out lots of fat and calories just by baking them instead of frying them. And I think they even taste a lot better this way!
My chocolate hazelnut donuts, which are one of the most popular recipes on the blog, are baked donuts as well. They were actually the first donuts I tried with my donut baking pan. If you haven’t already seen them you should really check out the recipe. It might sound kind of weird or even crazy, but they’re made with kidney beans. I was pretty skeptical when I first tried baking with beans (I first made these black bean brownies), but it creates such an awesome texture!! And you can’t even taste the beans in there.
But back to the birthday donuts I made last week. The recipe is actually really easy. All you need is flour (regular or whole wheat), plant-based milk (I used almond milk), unsweetened apple sauce, apple cider vinegar, agave or any other sweetener of your choice, a little bit of oil or vegan margarine, vanilla extract, and of course baking powder. That’s it for the vegan donuts.
I decided to make two different kinds of frosting. One with vanilla and powdered sugar (the white one) and for the red one I just added a teaspoon of blended cherries to the powdered sugar. So you don’t even need food coloring for the red frosting. Oh, and did you know that you can also make powdered sugar out of brown sugar? Just put some brown sugar into your food processor and mix on high for about 5 minutes until the sugar is pulverized. That’s all you need to do to make your own brown powdered sugar. It’s best to store these funfetti donuts in the fridge until you serve them, so the frosting doesn’t melt.
I hope you like these birthday donuts! Let me know if you give them a try. Have a great week, everyone!! Sina, xx
More Vegan Donuts?
Don’t miss these vegan chococlate hazelnut donuts! They’re kind of like nutella donuts!
Birthday Donuts with Funfetti
For the donuts:
- 2 cups flour (regular or whole wheat)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup almond milk or other plant-based milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup agave or other sweetener of your choice
- 2 tablespoons oil or melted vegan margarine
- 1-2 tablespoons natural vanilla extract (depends on what brand you're using)
- 1 tablespoon rainbow sprinkles (optional)
For the funfetti frosting:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon blended cherries (I used frozen cherries)
- rainbow sprinkes, for decorating
- about 1 tablespoon plant-based milk or water
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour and the baking powder. Then add in the plant-based milk, the apple sauce, the apple cider vinegar, the agave, the oil, and the vanilla extract. Stir until well combined. If you want you could also add some rainbow sprinkles to the dough.
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F and bake the donuts for 9-11 minutes. Allow to cool down in the pan for a couple of minutes, then move them to a cooling rack.
- In the meantime, make the frosting. If you want to make both the white and the red frosting, evenly divide the powdered sugar into two bowls. Whisk slowly, until well combined. Add more milk if you want it to be thiner and more powdered sugar if you want it to be thicker. For the red glaze, add 1 teaspoon of blended cherries.
- When the donuts are cooled down, evenly spread the frosting on the donuts and decoarte with rainbow sprinkles. It's best to store these funfetti donuts in the fridge until you serve them, so the frosting doesn't melt.
These were so good! I made them for my son’s birthday party last weekend and they were a huge hit!
These are so fun! Everything is better with funfetti, right?! We have made your chocolate hazelnut donuts and LOVE them! You definitely don’t taste the kidney beans – the kids inhaled them!