You’re gonna love these vegan chicken nuggets made with chickpeas and a crispy cornflakes crust! They’re super easy to make and SOOO delicious!
I used to love chicken nuggets. We didn’t have them very often when I was a kid (my mom usually made sure we ate healthy food), but when we did I really enjoyed them! But these vegan chicken nuggets or chickpea nuggets are sooo much better for you! And most of all 100 % cruelty-free! They’re coated with a crust of cornflakes and panko bread crumbs, which makes them so crispy!
What You Need To Make These Vegan Chicken Nuggets:
You will probably be surprised when you see the ingredient list. It’s not very long and you don’t need any fancy ingredients. If you’ve problems finding nutritional yeast, you can also just leave it out. This will slightly change the taste of the vegan chicken nuggets, but they will still be amazing!
- cooked chickpeas (either canned or you can cook them yourself)
- one onion
- garlic powder
- paprika powder
- rolled oats
- nutritional yeast
- salt and pepper
- panko bread crumbs
As always, you can find the full ingredient list and the detailed recipe instructions in a separate recipe box at the end of this post.
These vegan chicken nuggets are oven-baked, so you don’t need any oil to make them. The inside basically consists of cooked chickpeas, rolled oats, and different spices. You need to have a good blender to make these vegan chicken nuggets as you need to process the rolled outs into a fine flour. This is really important for the texture of the chickpea nuggets. Of course you could also use store-bought oat flour if that’s easier for you.
I hope you like the recipe for these vegan chicken nuggets as much as we do. Let me know if you give them a try!
Have a great weekend, everyone!
Sina – xx
You might also like these vegan cauliflower hot wings!
Vegan Chicken Nuggets
For the chickpea nuggets:
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard
- 3 tablespoons water
For the crust:
- 1/2 cup panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup cornflakes
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- Start by preparing the crust: Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Crumble the cornflakes with your hands in small pieces. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the panko bread crumbs and cornflakes on top. Bake for about 2 minutes until golden-brown. Set aside.
- In a small pan, heat some oil and sauté the onion for about 3 minutes. Set aside. Then place the oats into your food processor or blender and process into a fine flour. Add the rest of the ingredients (including the cooked onion) and pulse until you get a crumbly mixture.
- Divide the chickpea mixture into 14 equal portions and form each portion into a nugget. Coat with some almond milk and roll in the baked panko bread crumbs and cornflakes.
- Place on a new sheet of parchment paper and bake for 15 minutes.