This vegan red lentil soup with coconut milk is perfect for colder fall days. The recipe is super easy and it’s packed with protein and vitamins. And it’s sooo creamy and delicious!
Besides red lentils, I also used carrots, sweet potatoes, and ginger. To make it really creamy and comforting, I added curry powder and coconut milk. And I topped it off with some fresh lemon juice, chopped parsley, and pumpkin seeds. Parsley and pumpkin seeds are both very rich in iron, which makes them perfect for vegans and vegetarians. We ate this soup along with some warm whole wheat baguette. So yummy! We actually enjoyed it in front of the TV watching Netflix. Haha! I usually don’t like eating in front of the TV, but it’s sometimes just so comfortable on those colder fall nights. And we’re kind of addicted to The Walking Dead right now and the season was almost over, so this was the perfect excuse.
I’m a bit sad that summer is over, but I also love making these comforting fall meals like soup, casseroles, and everything that includes pumpkin, like my vegan pumpkin bread with cranberries. Vegan one pot meals are also perfect for fall. And it can be so nice outside when it’s sunny and all the trees are turning red and yellow. Absolutely beautiful!
What You’ll Need to Make This Vegan Red Lentil Soup
You don’t need any fancy ingredients for this vegan soup. You’ll need:
- red lentils
- sweet potatoes
- coconut milk
- one red onion
- green onions
- fresh parsley
- lemon juice
- curry powder
- vegetable broth
- coconut oil
- salt and pepper
As always, you can find the full recipe in a separate printable recipe box underneath the text section.
I decided to blend the soup so it became super creamy, but you could also leave it chunky. Or blend it a little bit and leave some texture. It totally depends on what you prefer. I love it when it’s super smooth and pretty thick. But if you want it to be a bit thinner, you can just add some more vegetable broth.
I hope you like this vegan red lentil soup as much as we do around here!
Have a great week, everyone!
Sina – xx
Vegan Red Lentil Soup with Coconut Milk
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 2 carrots, cut into small chunks
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 piece of ginger (about 1 inch), chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 sweet potato, cut into small chunks
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 green onions, cut into rings
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin seeds
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes (optional)
- In a large pot, heat the coconut oil and sauté the onions for about 3 minutes. Add the garlic and the ginger and cook it for another minute. Then add the carrots, the lentils, and the sweet potato and the curry powder.
- After 2 minutes, deglaze with the vegetable broth. Cover with a lid and cook for 15 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- When the the vegetables and the lentils are tender, either transfer the soup into a blender or use an immersion blender. Puree until very smooth. I prefer the soup very thick, if you want it to be thinner, just add more vegetable broth.
- Pour it back into the pot. Reheat and season again with salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes and add the lemon juice. Serve with fresh chopped parsley, green onions, and pumpkin seeds.