We sure love pasta around here! This Italian veggie pasta is my absolute favorite this summer! It’s super easy to make and it’s full of color and flavor.
Plus, it kind of gives you the feeling you’re on a vacation to Italy… At least when you close your eyes and pretend you’re sitting in front of an old stone house in Tuscany overlooking a beautiful vineyard after a sunny day at the beach. I think you get the idea, right? Haha! I guess I’m really looking forward to my next holiday. I could go on like this for hours…
What you need for this Italian veggie pasta
To make this veggie pasta, you need fusilli (I used whole wheat fusilli), a medium zucchini, half an eggplant, a yellow bell pepper, half a red onion, artichokes, capers, olives, cherry tomatoes, garlic, olive oil, and loooots of basil.
The recipe really couldn’t be much easier. First, sauté the onion and the garlic and then add the zucchini, the yellow bell pepper, and eggplant. Roast it for a couple of minutes. Then just add the cooked pasta and the rest of the ingredients. Stir in the olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with fresh basil. That’s it!
It’s important that you use a good olive oil with great flavor and aroma for this recipe. Make sure your oil is labeled “extra virgin”. The quality of the oil you use really does make a big difference when it comes to health benefits and taste.
I love doubling the recipe because the leftovers make an awesome pasta salad for BBQs or picnics. Sometimes, I also add marinara sauce for a little change.
I hope you like this recipe for Italian veggie pasta as much as we do and it also makes you feel like taking a short trip to Italy.
As always, I love hearing from you guys. If you give it a try, let me know how you liked it or tag me on Instagram with @_veganheaven_
Hope you all have a great and sunny week!
Italian Veggie Pasta
- 9 oz whole wheat fusilli pasta
- 1 cup eggplant, cut into small cubes (about half a small eggplant)
- 1 cup zucchini, cut into small cubes (about one medium zucchini)
- 1 cup yellow bell pepper, cut into small cubes (about one small bell pepper)
- 1/2 red onion, chooped
- 2 cloves of garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup artichokes in oil, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup black olives, cut into rings
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, cut into halves
- 1-2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- about 1 cup fresh basil leaves, roughly chopped
- Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pan, heat some oil and sauté the red onion and the garlic for about 2 minutes. Then add the zucchini, the yellow bell pepper, and the eggplant and cook for another 3 minutes.
- Add the cooked pasta and the rest of the ingredients. Stir in the olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and sprinkle with fresh basil.