Spaghetti with Lentil Bolognese
Spaghetti with Lentil Bolognese - Vegan, hearty, delicious, and packed with protein and iron! Perfect for Italian pasta nights!
Servings 3 servings
- 9 oz whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, cut into small pieces
- 2 stalks of celery, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup red lentils
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup dry red wine (use a vegan brand)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14,5 oz)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (optional, leave it out for a soy-free version)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- fresh basil to sprinkle
Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the package. Set aside.
In a large sauce pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion for about 2 minutes. Then add the garlic and cook it for another minute.
Add the carrots and celery and cook for a further 3 minutes. Then stir in the red lentils and the tomato paste. After another minute, deglaze with red wine and allow to evaporate (this will take about 1 minute).
Add the diced tomatoes and vegetable broth and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the sauce is thick and the lentils are fairly soft and good to eat (they shouldn't be too soft).
Season with the Italian spices, salt, and pepper and - if using - soy sauce. Serve together with the spaghetti and sprinkle with some fresh basil leaves.
- To make this dish gluten-free, replace the soy sauce with tamari and use brown rice spaghetti instead of regular or whole wheat spaghetti.
- I used whole wheat spaghetti, but of course you can also use regular pasta instead if you want.
- I used red wine for the bolognese sauce. However, please note that wine is often not vegan as animal-derived fining agents like milk protein or gelatin from fish bladder membranes are used in the production. However, there are many vegan brands. So keep an eye out for products that say “suitable for vegans” or that have the “certified vegan” logo.
- If you like this recipe, you should also try my cauliflower bolognese sauce!