Spaghetti with Lentil Bolognese
Spaghetti with Lentil Bolognese - Vegan, hearty, delicious, and packed with protein and iron! Perfect for Italian pasta nights!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 25 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
- 9 oz whole wheat spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, minced
- 1 large carrot, cut into small pieces
- 2 stalks of celery, cut into small pieces
- 3/4 cup red lentils
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup dry red wine (use a vegan brand)
- 1 can diced tomatoes (14,5 oz)
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (optional, leave it out for a soy-free version)
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- fresh basil to sprinkle
Cook the spaghetti according to the instructions on the package. Set aside.
In a large sauce pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Sauté the onion for about 2 minutes. Then add the garlic and cook it for another minute.
Add the carrots and celery and cook for a further 3 minutes. Then stir in the red lentils and the tomato paste. After another minute, deglaze with red wine and allow to evaporate (this will take about 1 minute).
Add the diced tomatoes and vegetable broth and simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the sauce is thick and the lentils are fairly soft and good to eat (they shouldn't be too soft).
Season with the Italian spices, salt, and pepper and - if using - soy sauce. Serve together with the spaghetti and sprinkle with some fresh basil leaves.