Vegan Crab Cakes
These vegan crab cakes with chickpeas and artichokes are super delicious and very easy to make. They make such a great vegan fish alternative!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 5 minutes
Total Time 20 minutes
Servings 8 crab cakes
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 cans artichoke hearts in brine, drained and roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1 stalk of celery, chopped
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons chopped dill
- 1 cup panko bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 2 teaspoons fish seasoning (for example Old Bay)
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
In a pan, heat some oil and sauté the chopped onion for 2 minutes. Then add the garlic and cook for another minute. Set aside.
Mash the chickpeas in a large bowl with a fork. Leave them partially intact for more texture. Add the remaining ingredients (including the cooked onion and the garlic) and season with salt and pepper.
Form eight vegan crab cakes.
Heat some oil in a large pan and cook them on each side on medium heat for about 2-3 minutes or until they're lightly browned.
I served them on a bed of green salad with vegan remoulade and lemon slices. For the remoulade I whisked together vegan mayonnaise with chopped dill, fresh lemon juice and seasoned it with salt and pepper.
- I decided to use a base of chickpeas and artichokes for my vegan fish cakes. I also tried vegan crab cakes with hearts of palms, but I preferred the vegan crab cakes with artichokes. The artichokes make an amazing texture! However, you could also replace the artichokes with hearts of palms.
- To make the vegan fish cakes hold together, I added panko bread crumbs. If you can't find them, you can also use regular or whole wheat bread crumbs instead.
- The fresh herbs (dill and parsley) are important for the taste. Don't leave them out!
- I served the vegan crab cakes on a bed of green salad with vegan remoulade and lemon slices. For the remoulade I combined vegan mayonnaise with salt, pepper, fresh lemon juice, and dill. You could also add dill pickles if you like.
Calories: 185kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 579mg | Potassium: 123mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 23.9% | Vitamin C: 30.9% | Calcium: 6.3% | Iron: 10.8%