Vegan Bacon with Mushrooms
If you used to love bacon and are looking for a vegan alternative, you will LOVE this vegan bacon with mushrooms. It's ready in just 15 minutes and so much it's so much healthier than real bacon. The savory flavor will make you go back for seconds and thirds!
Servings 4 people
- 2 portobello mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
Clean the mushrooms and slice them with a sharp knife.
In a small bowl combine the ingredients for the marinade (smoked paprika powder, soy sauce, liquid smoke, vegan Worcestershire sauce, and maple syrup). Season with salt and pepper. Whisk until well combined.
Put the sliced mushrooms in a bowl and pour the marinade over the mushrooms.
Carefully stir the mushrooms with a wooden spoon until they're completely marinated.
Heat some olive oil in a large nonstick pan on high heat (the mushrooms will shrink considerably during the cooking process). Add the mushrooms and drizzle another 1/2 teaspoon of soy sauce and 1/2 teaspoon of maple syrup on top. Cook for 3-4 minutes on each side.
Serve on a sandwich with vegan mayonnaise, lettuce, and tomatoes (vegan BLT) or with scrambled tofu or hash browns. Enjoy!
- Liquid smoke is a key ingredient in this recipe. Don't leave it out as the mushroom bacon won't be smoky and resemble real bacon. You can find liquid smoke in the condiments aisle of most well-stored supermarkets. If you have a hard time finding it, you could also order it online. A bottle of liquid smoke will keep forever as you only need very little of it!
- Make sure not to use more liquid smoke than mentioned in the recipe as it has a very strong taste (and smell).
- If you're suffering from a gluten intolerance, you can substitute the soy sauce with tamari.
- The mushrooms will shrink considerably during the cooking process, so please consider this when cooking for a larger crowd.
- You could also use cremini mushrooms instead of portobello mushrooms, which results in smaller pieces of "bacon". The texture also won't be as meaty.
Calories: 47kcal | Carbohydrates: 3g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 189mg | Potassium: 164mg | Sugar: 2g | Iron: 0.3mg