Vegan French Toast
This vegan French toast without milk and eggs is super easy to make and so delicious! You need only 5 ingredients and it's ready in 5 minutes!
Servings 6 servings
For the vegan French toast:
- 1 banana
- 1 cup almond milk or other plant-based milk
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 6 slices bread
- coconut oil
For the topping:
- 1/2 can very thick coconut milk (full fat) (chill in the fridge overnight)
Chill your coconut cream in the fridge overnight (make sure not to shake it so the cream and the liquid keeps separate).
Mash the banana with a fork in a shallow bowl and add the almond milk together with the cinnamon and the vanilla extract.
Then dip each slice of bread into the banana almond milk mixture for about 10 to 15 seconds. In a large pan, heat some coconut oil over medium heat and cook each side until golden. For me, this took about 3-4 minutes on each side.
Make the coconut cream: Place the hardened cream in a mixing bowl. Beat for 30 seconds with a mixer or until creamy. If you like you can add some agave or a sweetener of your choice.
Serve the vegan French toast with the coconut cream and the berries.
- I used white crusty bread for my vegan French toast. I recommend using sourdough bread or ciabatta bread. You could also use French bread, but then your slices will be much smaller. The recipe will also work with whole wheat bread, but the texture will be different.
- I wouldn't recommend using actual toast or toast-like bread for this recipe.
- It's best to use day-old bread. It will soak up more of the batter without falling apart. Older bread is also fine, but I wouldn't recommend using freshly bought bread.
- I like my vegan French toast best with coconut whipped cream and fresh berries. But it's also great with jam (for example homemade strawberry chia jam), more fruits, or maple syrup.
- I tried different kinds of oil for my vegan French toast. My favorite by far was coconut oil. It worked best in getting the vegan French toast nicely browned. And it also added some great coconut flavor, which blended perfectly with the rest.
Calories: 100kcal | Carbohydrates: 18g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 1g | Sodium: 199mg | Potassium: 121mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 15IU | Vitamin C: 1.7mg | Calcium: 92mg | Iron: 1mg