This teriyaki tofu makes a delicious and easy weeknight dinner. You will love the crispy baked tofu in a sweet and salty homemade teriyaki sauce. So much better than takeout!
Servings 4 people
For the Baked Tofu:
- 14 oz very firm or extra-firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
For the Teriyaki Sauce:
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 3 tablespoons mirin or rice wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger, chopped
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Preheat your oven to 350 °F. Cut the tofu into cubes and put it in a bowl. Add two tablespoons of corn starch.
Make sure all cubes are covered in corn starch.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the tofu cubes on top.
Bake for 25 minutes, tossing halfway.
Cut the broccoli into florets and cook or steam it. I like mine still a bit crunchy and not too soft.
Make the sauce: Place all of the ingredients into a sauce pan and cook for 3-4 minutes on medium heat until the sauce becomes thick and sticky.
Add the baked tofu cubes and stir well. Serve over brown rice and add the broccoli as a side. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and freshly chopped green onion. Enjoy!
- This dish is best served fresh as the tofu will get a bit soggy after a while. It's super crunchy when it's served fresh out of the oven.
- If you want you could prepare the sauce ahead of time.
- If you're not using very firm or extra-firm tofu, you could press your tofu with a tofu press or a stack of cookbooks and paper towel for 30 minutes before starting with the actual recipe. Check out my tips on how to press tofu.
Calories: 189kcal | Carbohydrates: 31g | Protein: 10g | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 1785mg | Potassium: 244mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 21g | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 2mg