Vegan Scalloped Potatoes
These creamy and cheesy vegan scalloped potatoes are perfect for a special occasion. Make them as a holiday side dish or for a nice Sunday dinner!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 50 minutes
Servings 6 people
- 3 lbs starchy potatoes (for example Russet or Yukon Gold)
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup cashews (unroasted and not salted)
- 2 cups unsweetened almond or soy milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- black pepper, to taste
- 1/2 - 3/4 cup vegan shredded cheese
- chopped chives, to serve
Preheat the oven to 375 °F. Peel the potatoes and thinly slice them. Generously grease a baking dish with vegan butter or margarine.
Now make the sauce. Combine all of the ingredients for the sauce in a high speed blender and blend until smooth. Spread about half of the potato slices into the bottom of the prepared baking dish.
Top with about half of the sauce.
Cut the onion into thin slices. Heat some oil in a pan and sauté the onion for about 3 minutes. After 2 minutes add the garlic. Equally divide the onion and the garlic on the first layer of potatoes.
Add a second layer of potatoes with the remaining potatoes. Top with the remaining sauce.
Generously top with vegan shredded cheese.
Bake for 50 minutes. Cover with aluminium foil towards the end of the baking time if the top gets too dark. Sprinkle with freshly chopped chives and serve immediately.
- It's best to use starchy potatoes for scalloped potatoes, for example Russet or Yukon Gold. They will thicken the sauce and become nice and tender. Waxy potatoes will most likely be too firm after being baked.
- If you're using a high speed blender like a Vitamin or a similar product, you don't have to soak the cashews first. However, if you want to make it easier for your blender, you can soak them for 30 minutes in hot water or even overnight.
- If your scalloped potatoes get too dark towards the end of the baking them, cover them with aluminium foil.
- Make sure to use vegan shredded cheese that melts well.
Calories: 337kcal | Carbohydrates: 53g | Protein: 11g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Sodium: 692mg | Potassium: 1158mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 0.8% | Vitamin C: 17.7% | Calcium: 14.8% | Iron: 18.9%