Vegan Pumpkin Soup
This vegan pumpkin soup with coconut milk is super thick, creamy, and rich. Serve it as a starter for a dinner party or as a comforting main meal on colder days! It's cheap, quick, and very easy to prepare.
Servings 6 Portionen
For the vegan pumpkin soup:
- 25 oz pumpkin (butternut, sugar pumpkin, or red kuri squash)
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 clove of garlic, finely chopped or minced
- 1/2 teaspoon finely chopped ginger
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 medium-sized potatoes, cut into cubes
- 2 large carrots, cut into cubes
- 2 1/4 cups vegetable broth
- juice of half a lime
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste (more if your curry paste is not very spicy)
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- freshly chopped parsley
- red pepper flakes
- coconut cream
Finely chop the onion and the garlic. Peel and cut the pumpkin, the potatoes, and the carrots into medium cubes.
Heat some oil in a large pot and sauté the onion for about 3 minutes or until translucent. Add the the garlic and the ginger and cook for another minute. Then add the pumpkin, the potatoes, and the carrots.
Then add the vegetable broth and the coconut milk. Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes until the vegetables are soft.
Use an immersion blender to puree the pumpkin soup or transfer it to a blender.
Stir in the red curry paste, the lime juice and season with salt and pepper.
- I used an immersion blender to puree the soup directly in the pot, which I think is the easiest way.
- If you want to make your pumpkin soup spicier, you could add some red pepper flakes.
- Don't leave out the fresh lime juice. It gives the soup even more flavor and freshness and it blends in really well.
- Make sure the red curry paste you use is vegan if you want the pumpkin soup to be 100 % plant-based. Some brands of curry paste contain shrimp paste.
- My favorite kinds of pumpkins for soup are butternut, sugar pumpkin, and red kuri squash.
Calories: 219kcal | Carbohydrates: 23g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Sodium: 384mg | Potassium: 927mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 13770IU | Vitamin C: 22.1mg | Calcium: 69mg | Iron: 5.5mg