This lemon pasta is super creamy, rich, and lemony. And it's very easy to make, 15 minutes is all it takes! It's the perfect comfort food and it makes such a great weeknight dinner for the whole family!
Servings 3 people
- 9 oz rigatoni or penne
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 teaspoon tapioca or corn starch
- 1 cup unsweetened almond or soy milk
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- juice of one lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- more lemon zest, to sprinkle
- freshly chopped parsley, to sprinkle
Cook the rigatoni or penne according to the instructions on the package. Set aside.
Place all ingredients in a high speed blender and process until smooth. This should take about a minute.
Pour the sauce into a large pot and cook on low heat until it thickens up.
Add the cooked pasta and sprinkle it with lemon zest and freshly chopped parsley. Enjoy!
- It's important to use a high speed blender for this recipe. Otherwise you won't be able to achieve the right texture. If you want to make it a bit easier for your blender, you could soak the cashews overnight in cold water or for 30 minutes in boiling water. However, this is not necessary if you use a Vitamix or a similar blender.
- Make sure that the cashews you use are unsalted and not roasted.
- You can easily make this dish gluten-free. Just use brown rice penne instead of regular pasta. I usually prefer brown rice pasta over lentil or chickpea pasta because they have a very neutral taste and an awesome texture.
- If you have problems finding the tapioca starch, you could also make the recipe without it or use corn starch instead. The tapioca starch makes the sauce a bit stretchy, kind of like a cheese sauce.
Calories: 479kcal | Carbohydrates: 74g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 504mg | Potassium: 481mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin C: 1.1mg | Calcium: 129mg | Iron: 3mg