Start the day off right with this homemade vegan cereal. It's very easy to make, nicely spiced with cinnamon, and loaded with healthy nuts and seeds. You can serve it with plant-based yogurt or milk and fresh fruits for a delicious and healthy breakfast!
Servings 8 servings
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 4 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1/2 cup flaked or slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup sunflower seeds
- 1/4 cup shredded coconut (unsweetened)
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- 2 tablespoons flaxseeds
In a large bowl, combine the rolled oats, the cinnamon, the vanilla extract, and the maple syrup.
Stir until well combined. The mixture will be pretty sticky. Preheat your oven to 300 °F.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the rolled oat maple syrup mixture on top. Spread evenly. Bake for 8-10 minutes at 300 °F. Check regularly to avoid burning. The oats burn pretty quickly and every oven is a bit different. They should be lightly golden on top.
In a large bowl, combine the baked oats with the chia seeds, the coconut sugar, the sunflower seeds, the pumpkin seeds, the almonds, and the shredded coconut.
Stir until well combined. Serve with fresh fruits, plant-based yogurt, or milk.
- If you can't find flaked or slivered almonds, you can also use whole almonds. Just roughly chop them with a large knife.
- I usually eat my homemade vegan granola with fresh berries, bananas and coconut yogurt or soy yogurt. But it's also great with plant-based milk.
- I always make sure that the shredded coconut I use is unsweetened. Some brands are sweetened while others are not. So check the labels.
- You can easily adjust the amount of sweetener to your personal liking. If you want it to be sweeter, just add a bit more coconut sugar. Or just leave it out all together if the maple syrup is enough for your taste.
- Oats are gluten-free by nature. However, most are produced in facilities that contain gluten. So if you want to make the vegan granola 100 % gluten-free, use rolled oats that are certified gluten-free.
- Nicely stored in a glass jar, this homemade vegan granola also makes a great gift.