These broccoli wings are out of this world! They're easy to make, super crispy, and spicy. They're great with a bowl of brown rice or as an appetizer.
Prep Time 15 minutes
Cook Time 45 minutes
Servings 4 servings
For the Broccoli Wings:
- 1 large head of broccoli
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened almond or soy milk
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons paprika powder
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 - 1 cup homemade or store-bought gochujang sauce
For the Homemade Gochujang Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons gochujang paste
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 2 teaspoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/4 cup water
Heat the oven to 350 °F.
Carefully cut the broccoli into bite-sized florets.
In a large bowl, combine the all-purpose flour, the plant-based milk, the water, the garlic power, the paprika powder, the salt, and the black pepper. Stir until well combined. For a gluten-free version substitute the all-purpose flour with chickpea flour (also omit the water if using chickpea flour).
Dip the broccoli florets into the batter, so they’re completely coated.
Roll them in the panko breadcrumbs. Omit this step for a gluten-free version. However, they’re way crispier with the panko breadcrumb coating.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and lay the broccoli florets on the baking sheet. Don’t put them on top of each other. Bake for 25 minutes at 350 °F.
Transfer the baked broccoli wings to a bowl. Either combine all of the ingredients for the gochujang sauce in a small bowl or use store-bought gochujang sauce. Pour it over the baked broccoli wings. Evenly coat them from all sides by stirring them a few times.
Put the coated broccoli back on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Bake again for 20 minutes at 350 °F.
Serve immediately and sprinkle with the green onions and sesame seeds.
- For a gluten-free version, you can use chickpea flour instead of all-purpose flour. Also omit the panko breadcrumbs.
- Immediately serve these broccoli wings. They’re super crispy when they come out of the oven, but unfortunately they will be a lot less crispy when they cool down. So I don't recommend storing them for later.
- You could serve them over brown rice or also just on their own. They also make a great appetizer.
Calories: 190kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 677mg | Potassium: 91mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin C: 0.6% | Calcium: 9% | Iron: 11.7%