Vegan Gingerbread Cookies
These vegan gingerbread cookies are just perfect for the holiday season! They're festive, super easy to make, crispy on the outside, and soft on the inside. And aren't they insanely cute?
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Total Time 30 minutes
Servings 22 cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds + 3 tablespoons water)
- 1/3 cup almond butter
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup almond or soy milk
Prepare the flax egg by combining the ground flaxseeds with water in a small bowl. Let it sit for about 5 minutes.
In a large bowl, combine the dry ingredients. In another bowl combine the wet ingredients and the brown sugar including the flax egg.
Mix the dry and wet ingredients with a wooden spoon. Stir well. Then knead the dough with your hands.
Form a ball and wrap it with plastic wrap. Store it in the fridge for about 1 1 /2 hours.
Use a rolling pin to roll out the dough. Cut out the gingerbread men with a cookie cutter. I used a smaller and a bigger one.
Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the gingerbread men on top. Leave some space in between.
Bake for 10 minutes. Decorate with royal icing, sprinkles, and candy.
- These gingerbread cookies freeze really well. However, you should freeze them before you decorate them. After baking, make sure to let them cool off completely. Then you can freeze them in a freezer-safe container or in freezer bags. You could also freeze the cookie dough for up to 3 months.
- I haven't tried making these cookies gluten-free yet. But I think you could just replace the all-purpose flour with a gluten-free flour blend. I've done this with other cookies and it worked quite well.
- If you can’t find ground flaxseeds, you can just buy whole flaxseeds and grind them in a highspeed blender.
Calories: 88kcal | Carbohydrates: 15g | Protein: 2g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 57mg | Potassium: 73mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 0.2% | Vitamin C: 0.2% | Calcium: 3.4% | Iron: 4.3%