Sweet and Sour Chickpeas
These sweet and sour chickpeas make such a delicious and easy weeknight dinner for the whole family! The recipe is so healthy and ready in just 15 minutes!
Prep Time 5 minutes
Cook Time 10 minutes
Servings 4 servings
- 1/3 cup rice vinegar
- 4 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3/4 cup pineapple juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into medium-sized pieces
- 1 can cooked chickpeas (2 cups)
- 1 14 oz can unsweetened pineapple
- 2 green onions, chopped
Combine all of the ingredients for the sauce in a blender. Blend until smooth
Pour the sauce into a large pan and cook on medium heat for a minute. Then add the red bell pepper and cook for 6-7 minutes.
Now add the chickpeas and the pineapple. Stir well and cook for 3 more minutes.
Add the chopped green onions and serve over rice. Enjoy!
- You need a blender to make the sauce. I used my Vitamix, but basically any blender will work as you don't have any hard to process ingredients in this recipe.
- I used canned chickpeas, but of course you could also use dried chickpeas that you can easily cook in your Instant Pot. Keep in mind that chickpeas roughly double their weight once cooked.
- I used canned unsweetened pineapple for this recipe as well as the pineapple juice at the bottom of the can. However, you could also use fresh pineapple and separately buy pineapple juice.
- To make this dish gluten-free, replace the soy sauce with tamari.
Calories: 189kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 615mg | Potassium: 480mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 25% | Vitamin C: 57% | Calcium: 6% | Iron: 13.5%