Vegan Sugar Cookies
These vegan sugar cookies are perfect for Christmas and Valentine's Day! They're soft, perfectly sweet, and super easy to make. And it's so much fun to decorate them!
Servings 30 cookies
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup vegan butter such as Earth Balance
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons natural vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons soy or almond milk
In a mixing bowl, add softened vegan butter and sugar. Beat with a handheld or stand mixer for about 3-4 minutes on high speed until the butter sugar mixture is light and fluffy.
Add the vanilla extract, the almond extract, and the soy or almond milk. Beat again on high speed until well combined. This should take about a minute.
Now add the dry ingredients. Mix again on high until everything is well combined. Do not overmix the batter. Form a ball and cover it with plastic wrap. Place it in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Lightly cover your kitchen counter with flour and roll out the dough with a rolling pin.
Cut out the cookies with cookie cutters. I used star, heart, and Christmas tree shaped cookie cutters. Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
Line a baking tray with parchment paper and place the cookies on top. Bake for 8 minutes. As every oven is a bit different, check regularly, so they don't get too dark.
- The rolled out dough shouldn't be too thick (see pictures for reference). Otherwise the cookies will take longer in the oven, so you might have to adjust the baking time.
- Make sure the sprinkles and the food coloring you use are vegan. Most brands are not vegan as they use carmine or beeswax. Check your local health food store or order them online. Here's a helpful list of vegan sprinkles and other decoration for baking.
- When it comes to vegan butter, I recommend using earth balance sticks. The recipes works really well with this brand. The butter should be rather soft, so store it at room temperature for a while before you start with the recipe.
- It's important that you pay close attention to the measurements of this recipe. You don't want to end up with too much flour, which will make the dough too dry. So I recommend leveling the cup off with a knife to scrape off the excess flour.
- I love adding a bit of almond extract to my sugar cookies along with vanilla extract. It gives them such a nice flavor! But don't use too much or otherwise your cookies will taste like marzipan. You could also leave it out completely.
Calories: 84kcal | Carbohydrates: 12g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 4g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 57mg | Potassium: 25mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 220IU | Vitamin C: 0.1mg | Calcium: 8mg | Iron: 0.4mg