Easy Vegan Chickpea Curry with Potatoes
This easy vegan chickpea curry with potatoes, peas, and carrots is perfect for quick weeknight dinners! It's one of my all-time favorites! So yummy!
Servings 3 servings
- Jasmine rice
- 1 small onion, cut into stripes
- 2 small potatoes, cut into small pieces
- 1 large carrot, cut into slices
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon red curry paste (optional) adjust if the curry paste you're using is very spicy, mine was very mild
- 1 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 1 cup frozen peas
- black pepper
- cashews (optional)
- fresh cilantro (optional)
Cook the Jasmine rice according to the instructions on the package.
In a large pan, heat some oil and sauté the onion for 2-3 minutes. Then add the potatoes and cook for another 3 minutes. Stir in the red curry paste and the curry and cook for another minute.
Add the coconut milk, vegetable broth, carrot, chickpeas, and peas and cook for about 20 minutes.
Season with salt and pepper and serve with cashews and cilantro.
- I included potatoes in the original recipe. However, if you want the vegan curry to be quicker, you can just leave them out. I make this vegan chickpea curry all the time and I think about half the time I’m not using potatoes. Cook the curry for about 15 minutes if you’re not using potatoes.
- Make sure to use canned full fat coconut milk for this recipe. I had some people making it with boxed coconut milk (like almond milk), which didn’t work out. You need the canned full fat coconut milk for a creamy curry.
- Serve the curry with brown rice for a healthier version.
- If you’re using potatoes for this vegan curry, make sure to cut them into small cubes. Otherwise the recipe will take longer.
- I used frozen peas for my vegan curry, but of course you can also use fresh green peas.
Calories: 404kcal | Carbohydrates: 46g | Protein: 12g | Fat: 21g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Sodium: 429mg | Potassium: 1151mg | Fiber: 12g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 3850IU | Vitamin C: 41.7mg | Calcium: 111mg | Iron: 8mg