Vegan Mac and Cheese with Mushrooms and Peas
These vegan mac and cheese with mushrooms and peas are super creamy, packed with flavor, oil-free, healthy, and just sooo good!
Servings 2 servings
- 1 heaped cup potatoes, cut into very small pieces (about two medium-sized potatoes)
- 1/2 cup carrots, cut into very small pieces
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked for 10 minutes
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 cup unsweetend almond or soy milk
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 small clove of garlic
- black pepper
- 9 oz macaroni (elbow pasta)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chopped parsley (optional)
Soak the cashews in water. Cut the potatoes and carrots into very small pieces and cook them in salt water for about 10 minutes.
Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package. Cook the frozen peas for about 6 minutes (I usually just cook them with the pasta). Set aside.
Drain the cooked potatoes and carrots and put them in a blender together with the soaked cashews (drain before using them!), the nutritional yeast, the almond or soy milk, the garlic, and some salt and pepper. Blend until smooth.
In a large pan, heat some olive oil and sauté the mushrooms for about 3 minutes.
Add the cooked pasta and peas to the mushrooms and stir in the "cheese" sauce. Heat for a minute or two until warm. If you like sprinkle with chopped parsley.