German Stollen with Marzipan
This German stollen with dried fruits, almonds, and marzipan is so delicious! It's made with Christmas spices and it's just the perfect treat for the holiday season. My recipe is of course 100% vegan. No butter, milk, or eggs required.
Servings 18 servings
- 4 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- one packet instant yeast
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- 3/4 cup + 2 tablespoons vegan margarine
- 1/4 cup soy milk (it should have room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons brown rum
- 1 pinch cardamom
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/3 cup ground almonds
- 2/3 cup raisins
- 1/3 cup candied lemon, chopped
- 1/3 cup candied orange, chopped
- 6 dried apricots, chopped
- 3.5 oz marzipan
- 1/4 cup margarine
- powdered sugar, to sprinkle
In a small pot, melt the margarine over low heat and let it cool down for a bit.
In the meantime, combine the flour, the dry yeast, the sugar, the milk, the rum, the ground almonds, and the spices in a mixing bowl. Add the melted margarine and knead all ingredients into a dough. Form a ball, cover it with plastic wrap, and let it rise at a warm place for about 2 hours.
When the dough is ready, gently gold in the dried apricots, the raisins and the candied lemon and oranges.
Form the marzipan into a longish role. Roll the dough into a 9 by 13-inch rectangle. Place the marzipan in the middle of the rectangle and fold one side of the stollen over the marzipan.
Preheat the oven to 350°F and bake for 45 minutes. Cover with aluminium foil if necessary (if it gets too brown).
When the stollen is ready, melt the remaining margarine. Immediately coat the stollen with the melted margarine and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
The stollen is best when you prepare it in advance and let it sit for at least 2 weeks (it should be wrapped and stored at a cool place).
- I know it's tempting to eat the stollen right after baking. However, it's best when you prepare it in advance and let it sit for at least 2 weeks. The flavors will be much stronger this way. It should be wrapped in aluminium foil and stored at a cool and dry place. It's really worth waiting!
- It's important to let the dough rise at a warm place for about 2 hours before you add the dried fruits and bake it.
- Coat the stollen with melted margarine and powdered sugar right after you take it out of the oven. It should still be warm for this step.
Calories: 296kcal | Carbohydrates: 41g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 110mg | Potassium: 113mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 11g | Vitamin A: 560IU | Vitamin C: 0.5mg | Calcium: 28mg | Iron: 1.9mg