Moroccan Chickpea & Sweet Potato Stew
This Moroccan chickpea & sweet potato stew with eggplant and couscous is the perfect weeknight dinner: easy to make, healthy, and filling!
Servings 4 servings
- 1 teaspoon regular coconut oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 2 medium-sized sweet potatoes, cut into medium chunks
- 1 medium-sized eggplant, cut into medium chunks
- 1 can chickpeas, drained
- 1 teaspoon ras el hanout coconut oil (or ras el hanout spice mix if you can't get hold of the coconut oil)
- 2 14.5 oz cans diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
- vegan yogurt or sour cream, to serve
- fresh cilantro, to serve
- 1 1/2 cups couscous
Heat the coconut oil in a large pan. Sauté the onion and the garlic for about 2 minutes. Then add the sweet potatoes and cook for about 3-4 minutes.
Then add the eggplant and cook for 3 more minutes. Stir in the ras el hanout coconut oil and allow to melt. Season with the remaining spices (cinnamon, cumin, and turmeric) and stir in the diced tomatoes. Season with salt, pepper, and if using red pepper flakes. Cook for about 10-12 minutes or until the sweet potatoes are tender.
While the chickpea & sweet potato stew is cooking prepare the couscous according to the instructions on the package.
Serve over couscous and top with vegan yogurt or sour cream as well as some fresh cilantro. Enjoy!