These vegan brownies are incredibly fudgy and SO chocolatey. Plus, they are a little bit healthier than most brownie recipes.
Servings 12 brownies
For the vegan tahini brownies:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup almond milk
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup agave
- 3/4 cup cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 1 flax egg (1 tablespoon ground flaxseeds + 3 tablespoons of water)
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 2 1/2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/2 cup vegan chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup tahini
For the topping:
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 1/4 cup chopped cashews
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate, melted
Preheat the oven to 350 °F.
Make the flax egg: Grind one tablespoon of flax seeds in a food processor or use store-bought ground flax seeds. Add 3 tablespoons of water and set aside to thicken for about 5 minutes.
Then make the batter: Combine all ingredients (including the flax egg) in a large bowl and stir with a wooden spoon until well combined. Lightly grease a baking tray (10" x 8") and pour in the batter. Spread evenly.
Put two tablespoons of tahini on top of the brownie batter and swirl with the tip of a butter knife. Sprinkle with the chopped cashews and bake for 25 minutes.
Let the brownies cool down in the baking tray. Melt the chocolate in the microwave or on the stove top. Drizzle on top of the brownies. Cut them into 12-18 pieces, depending on how big you want them. Enjoy!
- For the flax egg, you can either buy flaxseed meal or make your own at home. To do so, you could either use a high speed blender, a good food processor, or a flax mill. I usually use my blender to make a bigger batch and I pulse for about 3-4 times.
- These brownies freeze really well. Let them cool down completely after baking and then transfer them to freezer bags. You can store them in the freezer for several months.
- I haven't tried to make these brownies gluten-free. However, I think you could just a store-bought gluten-free flour blend instead of the all-purpose flour. I've done this with many other baking recipes and it worked just fine.
Calories: 303kcal | Carbohydrates: 44g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 37mg | Potassium: 188mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 20g | Vitamin A: 50IU | Vitamin C: 2.5mg | Calcium: 180mg | Iron: 3.4mg