Vegan Gnocchi with Spinach and Tomatoes
These vegan gnocchi with a creamy cashew sauce, spinach, and tomatoes is the perfect weeknight meal. It's super easy to make and incredibly comforting! It's ready in only 15 minutes!
Servings 3 people
For the gnocchi:
- 1 17.6 OZ (500 g) package store-bought gnocchi make sure to choose a vegan brand
- 4 handful fresh spinach
- 2 tomatoes, diced
For the sauce:
- 1/2 cup cashews (unsalted and not roasted)
- 2 large cloves of garlic
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoons white miso paste
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon tapioca starch
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- black pepper
Prepare the gnocchi according to the instructions on the package. Place the spinach in a colander and drain the gnocchi over it (this is an easy trick to wilt fresh spinach).
Make the sauce: place all ingredients in a high speed blender and process until smooth.
Pour the sauce into a large pot and heat until it thickens up. Add the gnocchi, the spinach, and the diced tomatoes. Cook for another minute.
- You will need a good blender to make the vegan gnocchi sauce. Otherwise it won't get as creamy.
- If you don't have a high speed blender, soaking the cashews over night helps a lot. Otherwise you don't have to worry about soaking them. I use a vitamix and I never soak my cashews for vegan cheese sauces.
- If you have problems finding the tapioca starch, you could also make the recipe without it. However, then you have to use less almond milk because the tapioca starch serves as a thickener. It will also make the sauce stretchy, kind of like a cheese sauce.
Calories: 545kcal | Carbohydrates: 84g | Protein: 18g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 2g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 5g | Cholesterol: 54mg | Sodium: 1008mg | Potassium: 25mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 2250IU | Vitamin C: 38mg | Calcium: 240mg | Iron: 5.6mg