Vegan Meatball Sub
If you're a sandwich fan like me, you will LOVE this vegan meatball sub. It's super easy to make, 100 % plant-based, and sooo delicious!!
Servings 3 servings
For the meatballs:
- 1 1/2 cups cooked kidney beans (or one 15 oz can)
- 1 large clove of garlic, minced
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce (omit for a soy-free version)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
For the subs:
- 3 Italian sub rolls or one large baguette
- 2 cups of your favorite marinara
- 3 tablespoons vegan cashew Parmesan
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
Rinse and drain the kidney beans. Put them in a medium bowl and mash them well with a fork. In a medium pan, heat some oil and sauté the onions for 3 minutes. Add the minced garlic and the mushrooms and cook for another 2 minutes. Add it to the mashed beans together with the spices, tomato paste, soy sauce, and oats. Put the sunflower seeds in a food processor and pulse until a fine meal is achieved. Add to the bean mixture and combine well. Season with salt and pepper. Form about 12-14 vegan meatballs.
Preheat the oven to 350 °F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, equally place the meatballs on top of it, and bake them for about 15 minutes.
Serve the vegan meatballs on Italian sub rolls or baguette and top them with your favorite marinara, vegan cashew Parmesan, and sprinkle them with fresh parsley. Enjoy!