Vegan Broccoli Soup
This vegan broccoli soup makes the perfect dinner. It's super creamy, comforting, packed with flavor, and so easy to make!
Servings 4 servings
For the Soup:
- 2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 7 cups broccoli florets equals 17 oz of broccoli (weight without stalk, just florets)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup vegan cream cheese
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- freshly chopped parsley, to garnish
For the Croutons:
- 2 slices bread
- 2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 clove of garlic
Heat some oil in a large pot. Sauté the onion and the garlic for about 3 minutes until the onion is translucent.
Add the broccoli florets and cook for 5 minutes. Stir frequently.
Add the vegetable broth.
Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
In the meantime, make the croutons. Cut the bread into cubes.
Heat the vegan butter in a pan on the stovetop until it's melted. Peel a clove of garlic and add it to the melted butter (don't chop it). Heat it on low heat for about two minutes until the the butter has a nice garlic flavor. Remove the garlic and discard.
Add the bread cubes to to the vegan butter and pan-fry until crispy and browned. Set aside.
Add the remaining ingredients and use an immersion blender to blend the soup until smooth. Alternatively, you could also transfer it to a blender or food processor.
Pour the blended soup into bowls and garnish with the homemade croutons and freshly chopped parsley. Enjoy!
- I used fresh broccoli for this vegan rbi. However, you could also replace it with frozen broccoli. Let it thaw at room temperature before you start with this recipe.
- You need vegan cream cheese for this soup. My favorite is Trader Joe’s plain vegan cream cheese. The recipe also works with Tofutti, Miyoko’s, or Kite Hill cream cheese.
- I like to use whole wheat bread with seeds for my croutons, but the recipe works with any kind of bread. Just pick the one you like best. You could also skip the homemade croutons and serve it with a few slices of crusty bread.
- Stored in an airtight container in the fridge, it will last up to 3 days.
Calories: 236kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 8g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Trans Fat: 1g | Sodium: 986mg | Potassium: 574mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 1636IU | Vitamin C: 145mg | Calcium: 120mg | Iron: 2mg