This vegan bolognese with tofu makes such a great weeknight dinner for the whole family. It's super delicious, packed with flavor and protein, and really easy to make. It comes together in only 30 minutes!
Servings 4 servings
- 14 oz firm tofu
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1/4 cup red wine
- 2 carrots, finely diced
- 2 stalks of celery, finely diced
- 3 cups tomato puree in a jar
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste (optional)
Crumble the tofu with your hands. In a large pan, heat some olive oil and add the crumbled tofu. Cook on high heat for 5 minutes until crispy and golden.
In the meantime, finely dice the onion, the celery, and the carrots.
Add the onion to the tofu and cook on high heat for 3 minutes until translucent. Then add the garlic and cook for another minute.
Now add the tomato paste and stir well so everything is covered in tomato paste. Cook for 2 minutes.
Deglaze with red wine and cook for another minute. Then add the celery and the carrots and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the pureed tomatoes, the vegetable broth, the basil, the oregano, and season the sauce with salt and pepper. Turn down the heat to medium-high and let it simmer for 10-15 minutes. Serve it over freshly-cooked pasta, and sprinkle it with roughly chopped basil leaves and vegan Parmesan. Enjoy!
- If you're cooking for young kids, leave out the red wine. No need to replace it with anything else. Just continue with the recipe without adding the red wine.
- For a gluten-free version, replace the soy sauce with tamari and use brown rice spaghetti instead of regular spaghetti.
- For a little bit of extra heat, add 1/2 teaspoon of red pepper flakes to your sauce.
- Properly stored in an airtight container in the fridge, this sauce will last for up to 5 days.
- This recipe freezes really well. Allow it to cool down completely completely before freezing it in a freezer-safe container or freezer bag. Let it thaw on the counter and then reheat it on the stovetop.
Calories: 196kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 580mg | Potassium: 838mg | Fiber: 6g | Sugar: 13g | Vitamin A: 5777IU | Vitamin C: 24mg | Calcium: 228mg | Iron: 5mg