General Tso Tofu
If you're a fan of Chinese food, you will love this general tso tofu. We can't get enough of these crispy baked tofu cubes tossed in a spicy, sweet and sour sauce. Ready in just 30 minutes!
Servings 4 servings
- 14 oz very firm or extra-firm tofu
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 4 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon fresh ginger
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- chili flakes, to taste (optional)
- sesame seeds, to sprinkle
- green onions, freshly chopped, to sprinkle
Preheat your oven to 350 °F. Cut the tofu into cubes. Add two tablespoons of corn starch.
Make sure all cubes are covered in corn starch.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and place the tofu cubes on top.
Bake for 25 minutes, tossing halfway.
Make the sauce: Place all of the ingredients into a sauce pan.
Cook for 3-4 minutes on medium heat until the sauce becomes thick and sticky.
Add the baked tofu cubes.
Stir well. Serve over brown rice. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and freshly chopped green onion. Enjoy!
- Make sure to use very firm or extra-firm tofu for this recipe.
- If you can't find extra-firm tofu, your could press the excess water out of your tofu before starting with this recipe. You could either use a tofu press or two plates, paper towel, and a few heavy objects like a stack of cookbooks. Check out my tips on how to press tofu.
- For a gluten-free version, replace the soy sauce with tamari.
- Add the baked tofu to the sauce and serve it right away. This way the tofu will be super crispy. Don't cook it in the sauce or the tofu will get a bit soggy.
Calories: 147kcal | Carbohydrates: 22g | Protein: 9g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 1mg | Sodium: 1123mg | Potassium: 209mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 15g | Vitamin A: 63IU | Calcium: 46mg | Iron: 2mg