Vegan Corn Bread
You will love this vegan cornbread! It's super easy to make, soft, moist, and buttery completely without dairy products or eggs! It's great with chili or just on its own with vegan butter or maple syrup.
Servings 12 servings
- 1 1/4 cups cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup unsweetened soy or almond milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup melted vegan butter
- 1 cup corn kernels
Combine the dry ingredients (cornmeal, flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and brown sugar) in a large bowl and stir well.
Melt the vegan butter in a small pot on the stovetop or in the microwave. Then add it to the cornmeal flour mixture together with the unsweetened plant-based milk and the apple cider vinegar. Stir with a wooden spoon until well combined, but don't overmix.
Add the corn kernels. Stir well.
Generously grease an 8 or 9-inch square baking dish with vegan butter. Pour the prepared batter into the dish and evenly divide it with a spatula.
Preheat the oven to 400 °F. Bake the cornbread for 20-25 minutes.
Allow the cornbread to slightly cool before slicing and serving. Serve with butter or maple syrup. Enjoy!
- If you want you could substitute the all-purpose flour with whole wheat flour. The cornbread will be a bit more crumply this way, but it will still be super delicious.
- I added one cup of corn kernels to the batter because I think it gives the cornbread a nice crunch and flavor. But if you want plain cornbread, just leave it out. You don't have to change anything else when leaving it out.
- My vegan cornbread is sweet, but not overly sweet. But if you're not into sweet cornbread, just lower the amount of sugar to have a more savory version.
Calories: 178kcal | Carbohydrates: 32g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 372mg | Potassium: 129mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 10g | Vitamin A: 185IU | Vitamin C: 0.2mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 1.2mg