These vegan spaghetti with chickpeas, artichokes, and olives make the perfect weeknight meal! The recipe couldn't be much easier, it's packed with flavor, and it requires minimal preparation.
Servings 4 people
- 8 ounces spaghetti (regular, whole wheat, or brown rice spaghetti)
- 1 can chickpeas
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- one 28-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- red pepper flakes, to taste
- 3/4 cup artichoke hearts in oil, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup black olives, cut into rings
- 2 tablespoons capers
- 1-2 tablespoons fresh oregano
Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package. Set aside.
While the pasta is cooking, heat some oil in a large pan and sauté the chopped onion for about 3 minutes or until it becomes translucent. Then add the minced garlic and cook for another minute.
Add the diced tomatoes and season with dried basil, oregano, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. Let it simmer for 5 minutes.
In the meantime, drain and rinse the chickpeas and roughly chop the artichokes. Cut the olives into rings.
Add the chickpeas, artichokes, black olives, and capers to the sauce. Sprinkle with fresh oregano.
Stir in the cooked spaghetti and serve immediately.
- I usually use whole wheat spaghetti or brown rice spaghetti for this recipe. For a gluten-free version, I recommend brown rice spaghetti or chickpea spaghetti.
- The recipe calls for canned chickpeas. But you could also use home-cooked chickpeas (I usually cook them in my Instant Pot). One 15-ounce can of chickpeas equals a ¾ cup dried beans.
- If you want to make the vegan spaghetti sauce a bit more spicy, increase the amount of red pepper flakes. If you're cooking for young kids, leave them out completely.
- For a lighter version, you could also use zoodles (zucchini noodles) instead of regular pasta.
Calories: 391kcal | Carbohydrates: 63g | Protein: 14g | Fat: 9g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 835mg | Potassium: 329mg | Fiber: 9g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 460IU | Vitamin C: 10.4mg | Calcium: 90mg | Iron: 3mg