Vegan Lentil Soup
This vegan lentil soup is super easy to make, it's so comforting, and packed with nutrients! It's such an easy everyday recipe that is ready in just a little over 30 minutes. The perfect dinner for a cold day!
Servings 4 servings
- 1 1/2 cups brown or green lentils
- 1 small onion
- 1 stalk of leek
- 2 carrots
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 medium potatoes
- salt, to taste
- black pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon vegan margarine (optional)
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour (optional)
- 1 pinch of nutmeg (optional)
- 1/4 cup parsley, chopped
Finely chop the onion. Peel the potatoes and the carrots and cut them into cubes.
Thinly slice the leek into rings and discard the root end. Place into a colander and rinse well. Rinse the lentils with cold water as well.
Place the lentils, the carrots, the leek, and the onion into a large pot and add the vegetable broth. Bring to a boil.
After 15 minutes of cooking time, add the potatoes and cook for another 15 minutes.
You could either just season the lentil soup with salt and pepper or add some kind of an easy roux to make it a bit thicker. If you decide to add the roux, melt one tablespoon of vegan margarine in a small pot. Then add a tablespoon of all-purpose flour and a pinch of nutmeg and stir well with a whisk. Cook for about one minute on medium heat. Add it to the lentil soup.
Add chopped parsley right before serving.
- I like to use either brown or green lentils for this recipe.
- Red lentils don't work as they become very soft and mushy once cooked.
- Properly stored in the fridge in an airtight container, this soup will last for about four to five days.
- This recipe freezes well. You can freeze it for up to five to six months in a freezer container. Just make sure to let the soup cool down completely before you freeze it. Also try not to overcook the vegetables (especially the potatoes) if you plan on freezing the soup later on.
Calories: 368kcal | Carbohydrates: 64g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 3g | Sodium: 998mg | Potassium: 1225mg | Fiber: 25g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 5760IU | Vitamin C: 17.1mg | Calcium: 82mg | Iron: 9.1mg