Vegan crepes are not only super delicious but also really easy to make. And completely without eggs or milk. You can enjoy my vegan crepes with a sweet as well as with a savory filling.
Servings 7 crepes
- 2 cups all-purpose flour or spelt flour
- 2 1/4 cups unsweetened oat, soy, or almond milk
- 2 1/4 cups sparkling water
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons melted coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 2-3 tablespoons brown sugar or coconut sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground flaxseeds
- 1 pinch salt
Combine the dry ingredients in a medium-sized bowl. Melt the coconut oil in a small pot on the stovetop or in the microwave.
Add the sparkling water, the plant-based milk, the coconut oil, the lemon juice, and the vanilla extract. If you want to eat your crepes with a savory filling, leave out the sugar and the vanilla extract.
Stir the batter well with a whisk until there are no lumps left.
Heat some oil in a large non-stick pan (it should be only lightly oiled) and bake one crepe at a time. Use about 1/4 to 1/2 cup for each crepe depending on the size of your pan. Quickly swirl, so the batter covers the entire bottom of your pan.
Stack the ready crepes on a plate and put them in the oven at around 140 °F. This way they will keep warm until you're finished making all of the crepes.
Why The Vegan Crepes Work:
- The sparkling water makes the vegan crepes light and fluffy.
- The ground flaxseeds work as an egg alternative. You don't have to soak them in water before adding them to the batter as it is is rather runny and provides enough liquid for them.
- You can easily replace cow's milk with plant-based milk. My favorite for this recipe is oat milk. But the crepes also work with almond or soy milk. Make sure the milk is unsweetened.
- Brown sugar or coconut sugar give the vegan crepes a pleasant sweetness. Vanilla extract provides more flavor. If you want to use a savory filling for your crepes, simply leave out the sugar and the vanilla extract.
- It's important to use a non-stick pan for the vegan crepes. This way they won't stick and they will be easy to flip.
- In order to avoid burning, you should prepare the crepes using medium heat. Of course this varies a bit depending on your oven. So try medium heat and then carefully adjust the heat.
Calories: 213kcal | Carbohydrates: 33g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 5g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Sodium: 77mg | Potassium: 202mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 300IU | Vitamin C: 5.8mg | Calcium: 147mg | Iron: 2.1mg