This vegan pho does not only burst with flavor, but it is also super easy to make! It is ready in under 40 minutes and it is the perfect comfort food for cold nights! Welcome to soup heaven and let's get the slurping started!
Cook Time 35 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes
Servings 4 servings
For the vegan pho broth:
- 1 onion, quartered
- 1 2 inch piece fresh ginger
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 4 cloves
- 3 star anise
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 8 cups vegetable broth
Add-Ins and Toppings:
- 7 oz bok choy (I used mini bok choy)
- 3.5 oz shiitake mushrooms (fresh)
- 8 oz dried flat rice noodles
- 2 limes, cut into wedges
- fresh basil
- fresh cilantro
- green onions, cut into thin circles
- fresh mint
- hot peppers, optional
Cut the onions into quarters, the ginger into thin slices, and the garlic into larger pieces.
Heat some oil in a large pot and sautée the onion and the garlic for 2 to 3 minutes. Then add the ginger, the cinnamon sticks, the star anise, and the cloves. Stir and cook on high heat until fragrant (about 30 seconds).
Next, add the vegetable broth and simmer for 30 minutes.
In the meantime, you can prepare the add-ins for the vegan pho and the rice noodles. Cut the shiitake mushrooms into thin slices. Heat some oil in a large pan and sautée the mushrooms for about 2-3 minutes. Set aside.
Cook the rice noodles according to the instructions on the package and set aside as well.
Strain the vegetable broth and return the liquid back to the pot. Discard the onions, garlic, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, and star anise.
Cut the bok choy into strips or use mini bok choys. Bring the vegetable broth back to a simmer and cook the bok choy for about 3 minutes in the broth.
Then add the cooked rice noodles, and the shiitake to the soup. Top it off with fresh mint, basil, and cilantro and serve it with lemon slices. Enjoy!
- Make sure to use a good quality vegetable broth. You could also use a homemade vegetable stock if you want.
- I like to use mini bok choy for my vegan pho. If you can't find it at the store, you could also use regular bok choy and cut it into strips.
- For additional protein, try adding tofu cubes to your vegetarian pho.
- Don't leave out any of the spices as they're essential for the flavor of the broth.
- If you want a stronger flavor, you could even cook the pho broth for more than 30 minutes.
Calories: 42kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 1g | Sodium: 1913mg | Potassium: 147mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 64.4% | Vitamin C: 28.2% | Calcium: 8% | Iron: 4.8%