Birthday Donuts with Funfetti
Celebrate your next birthday with these soft, fluffy baked birthday donuts with rainbow sprinkles, vanilla and cherry frosting!
Prep Time 15 minutes
Total Time 25 minutes
Servings 12 donuts
For the donuts:
- 2 cups flour (regular or whole wheat)
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 cup almond milk or other plant-based milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened apple sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup agave or other sweetener of your choice
- 2 tablespoons oil or melted vegan margarine
- 1-2 tablespoons natural vanilla extract (depends on what brand you're using)
- 1 tablespoon rainbow sprinkles (optional)
For the funfetti frosting:
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon natural vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon blended cherries (I used frozen cherries)
- rainbow sprinkes, for decorating
- about 1 tablespoon plant-based milk or water
In a medium bowl, combine the flour and the baking powder. Then add in the plant-based milk, the apple sauce, the apple cider vinegar, the agave, the oil, and the vanilla extract. Stir until well combined. If you want you could also add some rainbow sprinkles to the dough.
Preheat the oven to 350 °F and bake the donuts for 9-11 minutes. Allow to cool down in the pan for a couple of minutes, then move them to a cooling rack.
In the meantime, make the frosting. If you want to make both the white and the red frosting, evenly divide the powdered sugar into two bowls. Whisk slowly, until well combined. Add more milk if you want it to be thiner and more powdered sugar if you want it to be thicker. For the red glaze, add 1 teaspoon of blended cherries.
When the donuts are cooled down, evenly spread the frosting on the donuts and decoarte with rainbow sprinkles. It's best to store these funfetti donuts in the fridge until you serve them, so the frosting doesn't melt.